Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Server and Multiple Postgres versions?

Explorer

Hello,

I'm running into an issue related to a system that has two different versions of postgres installed. The system is running ambari 2.7.3.0 and my intention is for to run ambari server with postgres v10. However I recently noticed it was running with verision 9.2. I could tell b/c the postgres 9.2 service was active while the postgresql-10 service was inactive. Back when I upgraded the system to ambari 2.7.3.0 I confirmed it was up and running with postgres10 but after rebooting the machine I noticed it's now running with version 9.2. Is there an ambari configuration/setting that tells it which version of postgres to choose/run with? 

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@rwinters 

Simplest method is to edit /etc/postgresql/9.2/main/start.conf and replace auto with manual or disabled.

You can also resolve this by adding the following to the end of your shell's initialisation file (e.g. ~/.bashrc if you're using bash):

PATH=/usr/psql-10/bin:$PATH

reboot the server  now you should have the postgres 10 as the default

Hope that helps

Explorer

Thanks this is helpful, but I was curious. If there are versions of postgres installed on the system, how does ambari-server choose which one to run with? I actually have another system where I'm seeing the opposite. In this case postgresql-10 is running and postgresql (9.2) is not active after a restart. I'm just trying better understand how it choose which postgres service to start?