Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Server running as non-root unable to bind SSL socket

Contributor

Hello,

I enabled HTTPS for my Ambari Server before I changed it to run as a non-root daemon user. After I enabled non-root daemon, I'm getting the following error:

24 Jan 2017 17:06:48,001  WARN [main] AbstractLifeCycle:204 - FAILED SslSelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:443: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:433)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:425)
	at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)
	at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:74)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:187)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:316)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:265)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ssl.SslSelectChannelConnector.doStart(SslSelectChannelConnector.java:631)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:64)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:293)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:64)
	at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.run(AmbariServer.java:617)
	at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:927)

It seems as though even though I've put in all the sudo settings (starting here: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-security/content/commands_server.... ) the non-root user still doesn't have enough permissions to read the certificate to use for SSL binding. Does anyone know what is needed for this permission issue to be resolved? The SSL certificate and key are installed in /etc/ssl/certs/

I've been searching and I can't seem to find an answer to this.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Dezka Dex

looks like you are trying to use 443 port, can you please use different port number above 1024 . Please try 8443 port.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Dezka Dex

This does not look like SSL error. without SSL ( with http) are you able to start the server successfully?

@Dezka Dex

looks like you are trying to use 443 port, can you please use different port number above 1024 . Please try 8443 port.

@Dezka Dex

is this issue resolved? can you please mark the correct answer?

Contributor

@apappu

Sorry, I was just able to get to the office to try this out. This was the issue, thanks for your help! Just out of curiosity, why can't a non-root user use port 443?

@Dezka Dex

Thanks for the update. i think that is OS restriction, you can go through https://www.staldal.nu/tech/2007/10/31/why-can-only-root-listen-to-ports-below-1024/