Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari installation prerequisite packages

Explorer

Hi eveyone,

Ambari :- 2.7.4.0

HDP :- 3.1.4.0

I want to know whether postgresql in addition to MYSQL ( I will be using MYSQL in advanced database configuration while setting up Ambari server as my choice ) is needed for Ambari ( 2.7.4 ) installation or not. If it is needed should I install it on both Ambari Server host and also Ambari Agent hosts or only Ambari Server host. On which hosts is it required? 

Please help!

@KuldeepK @jsensharma @MattWho @Shelton 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@bvishal 

You don't really need to mix 2 different databases [Postresql and MySQL]. You can use MySQL or MariaDB free version of MYSQL in the advanced database configuration for you cluster. MySQL has the typical SQL syntax  Postgresql is another world ! 

You don't need to install MySQL on the ambari agent hosts because that will mean if you have 20 nodes you will be running 20 MySQL/MariaDB databases.

Usually, you install the MySQL/MariaDB on the Ambari host and you create apart from Ambari database, hive,oozie, ranger,RangerKMS etc.

If you are deploying using Ambari then the ambari-agents are deployed automatically and configured by Ambari.

Was your question answered? If so make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, kudos this answer by hitting the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star

Ambari installation requires either MySQL or postgresql. In general, you only need to install MySQL on the Ambari server host.

https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.7.5.0/administering-ambari/content/amb_using_ambari_...

Master Mentor

@bvishal 

You don't really need to mix 2 different databases [Postresql and MySQL]. You can use MySQL or MariaDB free version of MYSQL in the advanced database configuration for you cluster. MySQL has the typical SQL syntax  Postgresql is another world ! 

You don't need to install MySQL on the ambari agent hosts because that will mean if you have 20 nodes you will be running 20 MySQL/MariaDB databases.

Usually, you install the MySQL/MariaDB on the Ambari host and you create apart from Ambari database, hive,oozie, ranger,RangerKMS etc.

If you are deploying using Ambari then the ambari-agents are deployed automatically and configured by Ambari.

Was your question answered? If so make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, kudos this answer by hitting the thumbs up button.

Explorer

Thanks @Shelton for your detailed answer!