Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari's hive config references hive.metastore.heapsize - is this a real property?

Rising Star

Ambari's hive config includes an entry for "Metastore Heap Size" and the context help says this corresponds to hive.metastore.heapsize, but I can't find any other reference to this parameter in Apache or any hadoop vendor's documentation. Is this actually a parameter? Where is it set? The value we are setting in Ambari does not appear to be affecting the actual heap being used on our server.

(Ambari 2.2.2.0)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Vincent Romeo

The hive.metastore.heapsize is not a parameter that is in a file like hive-site.xml. This value is used by Ambari for substitution into the hive-env template file. You can see this section in the text box in Ambari:

if [ "$SERVICE" = "metastore" ]; then
 export HADOOP_HEAPSIZE={{hive_metastore_heapsize}} # Setting for HiveMetastore
else
 export HADOOP_HEAPSIZE={{hive_heapsize}} # Setting for HiveServer2 and Client
fi

The {{hive_metastore_heapsize}} is where the substitution is made.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Vincent Romeo

The hive.metastore.heapsize is not a parameter that is in a file like hive-site.xml. This value is used by Ambari for substitution into the hive-env template file. You can see this section in the text box in Ambari:

if [ "$SERVICE" = "metastore" ]; then
 export HADOOP_HEAPSIZE={{hive_metastore_heapsize}} # Setting for HiveMetastore
else
 export HADOOP_HEAPSIZE={{hive_heapsize}} # Setting for HiveServer2 and Client
fi

The {{hive_metastore_heapsize}} is where the substitution is made.

had the same problem on IBM BigInsight 4.1

You saved my day

Rising Star

I think our hive-env template is missing the section related to setting the heapsize.... We're reaching out to support for a fresh copy of that.