Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari-server Setup Issue

Explorer

Hi

I am trying to setup ambari on a virtual machine and run into below issue. I researched with the error and tried all the inputs but no luck.

# yum repolist

Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, security, subscription-manager

ambari | 2.9 kB 00:00

repo id repo name status

HDP HDP Version - HDP-2.3.4.0 175

HDP-UTILS HDP Utils Version - HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20 43

ambari ambari-2.5.0.3 12

# yum install ambari-server

Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, security, subscription-manager Setting up Install Process Package ambari-server-2.5.0.3-7.x86_64 already installed and latest version Nothing to do

# ambari-server setup

Using python /usr/bin/python

Setup ambari-server

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/sbin/ambari-server.py", line 40, in <module>

from ambari_server.serverUpgrade import upgrade, upgrade_stack, set_current

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/serverUpgrade.py", line 51, in <module>

from ambari_server.setupMpacks import replay_mpack_logs

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/setupMpacks.py", line 42, in <module>

from resource_management.libraries.functions.tar_archive import extract_archive, get_archive_root_dir

ImportError: cannot import name extract_archive

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Abhishek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Abhishek Reddy Chamakura

Could you run these 4 commands on the Ambari server, is there a specific reason that you are installing an old HDP 2.3 version when you have HDP 2.6

# yum erase ambari-server 
# yum clean all 
# yum repolist 
# yum install -y ambari-server 

Please revert

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Master Mentor

Could you run these 4 commands on the Ambari server, is there a specific reason that you are installing an old HDP 2.3 version when you have HDP 2.6

# yum erase ambari-server 
# yum clean all 
# yum repolist 
# yum install -y ambari-server 

Please revert

Explorer

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for your quick response and time. I ran the below commands and tried setting up amber_server and ran into same issue. Please find attached the steps i did and the error.ambari-server-setup-issue.txt

I am trying to setup a lab environment with similar versions as Production to make a look alike to give another platform to test before deploying to production.

But we are planning to upgrade Ambari from 2.5.0.3 to 2.5.2.0 and HDP to 2.6.1.0.

What is the best way to remove old HDP repos - Do you recommend using yum erase or yum remove ?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you and looking forward to your help.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Explorer

Master Mentor

Can you tell me the Type and OS version,

I want to quickly reproduce your steps with Ambari 2.5.0.3 and HDP-2.3.4.0 175 can you maybe send the links you used for the downloads.

Explorer

Explorer

Hi Geoffrey,

Here are the server details of the virtual machine on which I am trying to install ambari. I also attached the additional processor, memory and disk information.

Node : Virtual Machine

Cores (CPU): 4 (4)Disk:

Memory: 23.46GB

Operating System

$ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.9 (Santiago)

$ uname -a Linux hdplabambari 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 20 11:30:02 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Just an overview - I requested my Devops team for a 10 node virtual machine all with the close configuration.

This is a new virtual machine and the yum repos that are listed when I type - yum repolist are below. I think the HDP and HDP utils are put in by chef on this node. I didnt download the HDP and HDP utils. I only downloaded the ambari repo.

HDP HDP Version - HDP-2.3.4.0

HDP-UTILS HDP Utils Version - HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20

ambari ambari-2.5.0.3

To download Ambari Repo i used this Link -

wget -nv http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/centos6/2.x/updates/2.5.0.3/ambari.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/ambari.repo

Please let me konw if i can provide any further info.

FYI - Currently there is nothing on this 10 virtual machines. I am planning to build a Hortonworks Hadoop cluster with this 10 virtual nodes. As part of it i started with the ambari server setup on one node and ran into the above issues. Thank you for all your help.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Explorer

Hi Geoffrey,

Here are the server details of the virtual machine on which I am trying to install ambari. I also attached the additional processor, memory and disk information.

Node : Virtual Machine

Cores (CPU): 4 (4)Disk:

Memory: 23.46GB

Operating System

$ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.9 (Santiago)

$ uname -a Linux hdplabambari 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 20 11:30:02 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Just an overview - I requested my Devops team for a 10 node virtual machine all with the close configuration.

This is a new virtual machine and the yum repos that are listed when I type - yum repolist are below. I think the HDP and HDP utils are put in by chef on this node. I didnt download the HDP and HDP utils. I only downloaded the ambari repo.

HDP HDP Version - HDP-2.3.4.0

HDP-UTILS HDP Utils Version - HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20

ambari ambari-2.5.0.3

To download Ambari Repo i used this Link -

wget -nv http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/centos6/2.x/updates/2.5.0.3/ambari.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/ambari.repo

Please let me konw if i can provide any further info.

FYI - Currently there is nothing on this 10 virtual machines. I am planning to build a Hortonworks Hadoop cluster with this 10 virtual nodes. As part of it i started with the ambari server setup on one node and ran into the above issues. Thank you for all your help.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Master Mentor

I have just completed a single node installation with your current Ambari /HDP versions. All went successfully I have attached the documentation and screenshots of the cluster creation.
Unfortunately, we usually, ignore obvious steps that can cost us time and frustration, please validate my steps against yours. I used the Mysql database and not the embedded Postgres for Ambari, hive, oozie, and ranger backend DB's.

03-repo.jpg04-target-host.jpg01-ambari-welcome-ui.jpg02-hdp32.jpg

Master Mentor

More screen shots

08-assign-slave.jpg05-confirm-hosts.jpg07-assign-master.jpg09-customise-services.jpg06-choose-service.jpg