Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Atlas apply Classification to Attributes (not just an Entity)?

New Contributor

Hi,

I'm implementing a data catalogue in Atlas with bespoke typeDefs, and we have the requirement to hide some entity attributes from some users, as well as hiding some entity types themselves.  We can do this at the entity level by applying Classifications at the entity level, and using the tagSync to Ranger to block access to unauthorised entities.

• Is it possible to apply Classifications at the attribute level of a typeDef or when defining an entity?  I've tried it and it doesn't appear possible, but any confirmation of this would be much appreciated!
  • Assuming that classifications cannot be applied at the attribute level, is there another way of limiting user access to attributes, other than separating the attributes into separate entities?  I've seen the "Options" parameters in the typeDef, however there's no documentation I can find that gives further detail on what can be defined in Options, nor any examples for implementing.

Many thanks,

Rob

3 REPLIES 3

Cloudera Employee

Hi @RobArm 
Classifications can only be associated with entities and not attributes in Atlas. For fine-grained access to entities, have you tried integrating Ranger with Atlas?

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-base/7.1.6/security-ranger-authorization/topics/security...

New Contributor

Hi Maggy,

Thanks for confirming my understanding regarding Classifications.  We are using Ranger with Atlas, however the 'most fine-grain' approach with Ranger is to use the Classifications as I understand it.   Would you know if any other approaches with Ranger would allow fine-grain security applying to Atlas Attributes?

Community Manager

@RobArm Has the reply helped resolve your issue? If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the solution, as it will make it easier for others to find the answer in the future. Thanks

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: