Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Ranger external user

Rising Star

Hi,

How can i get a user created in ambari in Apache Ranger?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hi,

You can not create user in Ambari that will be visible in Apache Ranger. You need to create user in Apache Ranger and then in your local system (with the same username), or you can synchronize users with Active Directory.

To create user in Apache Ranger you need to have admin privileges, then go to Settings -> Users/Groups and "Add New User"

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Super Collaborator

Hi,

You can not create user in Ambari that will be visible in Apache Ranger. You need to create user in Apache Ranger and then in your local system (with the same username), or you can synchronize users with Active Directory.

To create user in Apache Ranger you need to have admin privileges, then go to Settings -> Users/Groups and "Add New User"

Rising Star

Thank you,

Can you help me understand creating user in Apache ranger and creating user in my local system with same username?

I have created a policy in Ranger and i want to restrict a user from selecting table in Hive view but i cannot find that user in Apache Ranger.

Super Collaborator

@Hitesh Rajpurohit

You need to create user with the same username in Apache Ranger. For example: you created user "testuser" in your system, then you need to create the same user (testuser) in Apache Ranger, and policies now will work for the "testuser" in your system.

Rising Star

By System you mean My Laptop?

Super Collaborator

I mean the environment where your Apache Ranger and the rest is installed. It can be sandbox or your Laptop's operating system if it is the place where Hadoop is installed.

Rising Star

Thank you,

Rising Star

@Edgar Daeds Hello,

can you tell me how to login with UNIX user in Ambari?

Super Collaborator

@Hitesh Rajpurohit

You can either sync Ambari or create users manually in Ambari. To create users manually - as admin user in Ambari click "admin" button in the upper right corner and then "Manage Ambari". To sync Ambari check this https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/50169/ambari-synch-with-local-unix-groups-and-users.html

Rising Star

The link which you gave to sync users in ambari is of syncing Ambari with LDAP but i have UNIX users and i have to sync unix users with Ambari Web UI