Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Api Error: Unable to authenticate in Hue while trying to open Hbase

Rising Star

Hello dear all!

I am facing the following problem on kerberized CDH 6.1.0:

when I open Hbase in Hue interface I see the message Api Error: Unable to authenticate

Hbase log shows

2019-06-14 11:36:44,236 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PrivilegedAction as:hbase (auth:SIMPLE) from:org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftHttpServlet.doKerberosAuth(ThriftHttpServlet.java:162)
2019-06-14 11:36:44,238 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PrivilegedActionException as:hbase (auth:SIMPLE) cause:org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.HttpAuthenticationException: Kerberos authentication failed:
2019-06-14 11:36:44,238 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftHttpServlet: Failed to authenticate with hbase kerberos principal
2019-06-14 11:36:44,238 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftHttpServlet: Kerberos Authentication failed
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.HttpAuthenticationException: java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException

Hbase principal exists.

Could you please help me.

4 REPLIES 4

Explorer

Hi! We have the same error in our cluster. I found out that if you uncheck property "Enable HBase Thrift Http Server" in hbase configuration, this error disappear, but then u cannot use the "doAs" feature of thrift server and all users who can access Hue have the same privileges in hbase as user hue (by which Hue server connects to thrift server and hence hbase server). We are still looking for a solution of the problem. Version of our cluster is 6.1.1.

Explorer

Could someone explain me, what does exactly mean this portion of the error:

2019-06-19 14:58:20,944 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PrivilegedAction as:hbase (auth:SIMPLE) from:org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftHttpServlet.doKerberosAuth(ThriftHttpServlet.java:162)
2019-06-19 14:58:20,950 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PrivilegedActionException as:hbase (auth:SIMPLE) cause:org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.HttpAuthenticationException: Kerberos authentication failed:
2019-06-19 14:58:20,951 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftHttpServlet: Failed to authenticate with hbase kerberos principal
2019-06-19 14:58:20,951 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftHttpServlet: Kerberos Authentication failed

Who present his identity (credentials?) to whom here? Hbase server to Thrift server or vice versa? Or Thrift cant authenticate to kerberos itself (and why)? Which service uses the hbase principal here and why it couldn't get its credentials?

Would appericate any help!

Rising Star

Bumping this thread as this issue seems to be still unresolved.

Today I noticed that the documentation has been updated recently and for CDH 6.3 there are some new steps as far as Hue and HBase are concerned -https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/6.3/topics/admin_hue_enable_apps.html

The article also references this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGDTGmaxvsM&feature=emb_title - which was uploaded to YouTube only recently, but shows a rather old version of both CDH and Hue 😕 

Contributor

I encountered the same error. After a few days of trying I decided to give up. Just go to Hbase config on Cloudera Manager UI and turn "hbase.security.authentication" to "simple" and "hbase.thrift.security.qop" to "none"

quangbilly79_0-1684319967523.png