Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Are there any additional metrics to consider that aren't shown under the stock Ambari Metrics?

Contributor

A customer asked if the stats and information provided out of the box in Ambari Metrics provides all the things needed to represent cluster health and performance on a process level ( example - hive/hbase/hdfs, etc).

I figured the stock metrics we display out of the box are 'good enough' and I know that Ambari Metrics will allow us to add even more custom metrics for a given service, if required.

Does anyone have recommendations / suggestions on any additional metrics that they've found useful or helpful for customers? If there are, I figured Ambari Metrics would be the place to add those metrics rather than build out some sort of external dashboard. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have had multiple clients comment that Ambari's JMX integration is very helpful as it allows them to create custom widgets to better monitor particular services/applications.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I have had multiple clients comment that Ambari's JMX integration is very helpful as it allows them to create custom widgets to better monitor particular services/applications.

Kent, there are numerous metrics collected in AMS beyond what's exposed at the top level. There is also an option to add derived metric charts (e.g. sum, avg, math, expression). E.g. try HBase -> Add widget (big plus sign in the UI) and play with available metrics in drop-down/search.