Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Atlas tagging at data level

Rising Star

Hi all,

I'm wondering if we can tag using a business taxonomy at data level?

Let’s say we create a business taxonomy, then we tag a hive column with this taxonomy. Can we then search the data using the business tag associated to the hive column?

Thanks

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Aah - I believe Atlas is only capable of handling tags at a data asset level, which would limit it to metadata only (e.g., table, column, etc.). As far as I know, it does not allow for tagging at a row level or based on data/content.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Yes, this is possible using Atlas tagging based on a business taxonomy:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.0/bk_data-governance/content/searching_for_as...

Bear in mind that this feature is still in technical preview and not fully supported.

Rising Star

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

But this is not exactly what I'm asking. I know that we can search based on Taxonomy. For instance, we can associate "Customer" to a hive table and then look for all object related to the "Customer" and we will get back the hive table name.

I'm not looking for the hive table name rather the content of the related hive table.

Expert Contributor

Aah - I believe Atlas is only capable of handling tags at a data asset level, which would limit it to metadata only (e.g., table, column, etc.). As far as I know, it does not allow for tagging at a row level or based on data/content.