Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

AvroStorage with mapreduce and java.lang.RuntimeException: could not instantiate

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I have simple Pig script. Im trying to load avro file or directory that contains avro file using AvroStorage in Mapreduce mode. I tried almost all the combinations (hdfs://, / , hdfs://ip:port/file ... ) but nothing works.

Using command below

set = load '/spool-dir/CustomerData-20160128-1501807/' USING org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage ();

I got error:

2016-01-29 00:10:08,439 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt - ERROR 1066: Unable to open iterator for alias sensitiveSet. Backend error : java.lang.RuntimeException: could not instantiate 'org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage' with arguments 'null' 2016-01-29 00:10:08,439 [main] WARN org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt - There is no log file to write to. 2016-01-29 00:10:08,439 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt - org.apache.pig.impl.logicalLayer.FrontendException: ERROR 1066: Unable to open iterator for alias sensitiveSet. Backend error : java.lang.RuntimeException: could not instantiate 'org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage' with arguments 'null' at org.apache.pig.PigServer.openIterator(PigServer.java:925) at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.processDump(GruntParser.java:754)

or using command with argument

set = load '/spool-dir/CustomerData-20160128-1501807/' USING org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage('no_schema_check');

2016-01-29 00:25:02,767 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt - org.apache.pig.impl.logicalLayer.FrontendException: ERROR 1066: Unable to open iterator for alias sensitiveSet. Backend error :

java.lang.RuntimeException: could not instantiate 'org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage' with arguments

'[no_schema_check]' at org.apache.pig.PigServer.openIterator(PigServer.java:925

My samples are almost identical with the ones on the avrostorage documentation, but i really cant see where the problem is.

The problem is partially described on stackexchange also.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

fyi https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-4793

org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage is Deprecated, use AvroStorage('schema', '-d')

This works.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Expert Contributor

fyi https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-4793

org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.avro.AvroStorage is Deprecated, use AvroStorage('schema', '-d')

This works.

Master Mentor

Awesome find @John Smith re-accepted to give you credit

Master Mentor

@John Smith really great job, I was not aware of 2nd AvroStorage package. @Predrag Minovic @Benjamin Leonhardi you might find this of use?