Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Best Practices for Storm Deployment on a Hadoop Cluster using Ambari. How would you allocate components in production?

What are best practices for Deploying Storm Components on a cluster for scalablity and growth? We are thinking of having dedicated nodes for Storm on YARN. Also would anything go on an edge node?

For example in a cluster, the thought is to have three Storm nodes (S1, S2, S3) dedicated with the following allocations:

Storm Nimbus:

• Choose S1 as Storm Master to deploy Storm Nimbus... Or Probably a best practice is to not co-locate Nimbus with any worker node
  • S1 node will also have the Storm UI

Storm Supervisors/ Workers

• Choose S1, S2, S3 to deploy Storm Supervisors

Zookeeper Cluster

• Since Kafka is usually used with Storm, have a separate Zookeeper cluster for Kafka and Storm.
  • DON"T put the Zookeeper cluster on the Kafka nodes (K1, K2, K3).
  • Put the Zookeeper on the Storm nodes (S1, S2, S3)

Storm UI

• Will be on the same node as the Nimbus: S1 or Edge

DRPC Server

• What is the best practice to place this?

So in Summary, if we have three dedicated nodes for Storm, the thinking is to allocate as follows:

S1 Node:

1. Storm Nimbus/ Storm UI (Maybe it is not a best practice to put Storm Nimbus on worker nodes and put this on Edge node?)
  2. Storm Supervisor
  3. Zookeeper

S2 Node:

1. Storm Supervisor
  2. Zookeeper

S3 Node:

1. Storm Supervisor
  2. Zookeeper

Edge Node:

1. Storm Nimbus/ Storm UI (Maybe it is not a best practice to put Storm Nimbus on worker nodes and put this on Edge node?)

Finally would the DRPC go on the Nimbus node? Any thoughts on this? Am I on the right track? Would anything go on an edge node?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Hi @Ancil McBarnett my 2 cents:

• Nothing on Edge nodes, you have no idea what the guys will do there
  • Nimbus, Storm UI and DRPC on one of cluster master nodes. If this is a stand-alone Storm&Kafka cluster then set a master and put these guys together with Ambari there.
  • Supervisors on dedicated nodes. In hdfs cluster you can collocate them with Data nodes.
  • Dedicated Kafka broker nodes, but see below
  • Dedicated ZK for Kafka, however in case of Kafka-0.8.2 or higher, if consumers don't keep offsets on ZK, low to medium traffic and you have at least 3 brokers,then you can start with collocating Kafka ZK with brokers. In this case ZK should use dedicated disk.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Master Mentor

@Ancil McBarnett accept best answer 🙂

This is the picture I have come up with

1823-screen-shot-2016-02-04-at-61845-pm.png

1824-screen-shot-2016-02-04-at-61856-pm.png

Master Guru

Cute pic! And everything looks good, however, even in the "Light Storm, Kafka" case I'd create a dedicated Kafka ZooKeeper and put it on Kafka brokers, so that ZKs write to their own disks (for example, 5 disks for Kafka, 1 for ZK).

New Contributor

Hi, I am planning to create Ambari Hadoop Storm Cluster and as this is fresh new for me I have some doubts how to setup it on the best way. Here is what I have for resources:

- Platform: AWS (8 EC2 instances - 1 master. 4 slaves, 3 workers (zookeepers))

- Tool: As I want to automate setup, I will use Terraform, Ansible and Blueprint to setup all environment

- I research a little bit and create some conclusion and I need some advice/opinion is this a good path???

Thanks

MASTER SLAVE ZOO
NAMENODE SECONDARY_NAMENODE DATANODE
NIMBUS RESOURCE_MANAGER NODEMANAGER
DRPC_SERVER SUPERVISOR ZOOKEEPER_SERVER
STORM_UI_SERVER ZOOKEEPER_CLIENT METRICS_MONITOR
ZOOKEEPER_CLIENT METRICS_MONITOR MAPREDUCE2_CLIENT
HDFS_CLIENT HDFS_CLIENT HDFS_CLIENT
PIG PIG PIG
TEZ_CLIENT TEZ_CLIENT TEZ_CLIENT
YARN_CLIENT YARN_CLIENT YARN_CLIENT
METRICS_COLLECTOR HISTORY_SERVER