Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Best practice for extract/output data (generated by Pig script) to be stored in a single file?

Rising Star

AIM: To grab a daily extract of data stored in HDFS/Hive, process it using Pig, then make results available externally as a single CSV file (automated using bash script).

OPTIONS:

1. Force output from Pig script to be stored as one file using 'PARALLEL 1' and then copy out using '-copyToLocal'

extractAlias = ORDER stuff BY something ASC;
STORE extractAlias INTO '/hdfs/output/path' USING CSVExcelStorage() PARALLEL 1;

2. Allow default parallelism during Pig STORE and use '-getmerge' when copying out extract results

hdfs dfs -getmerge '/hdfs/output/path' '/local/dest/path'

QUESTION:

Which way is more efficient/practical and why? Are there any other ways?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe generally hard coding parallel is a bad idea in your pig script. With Parallel 1, you are effectively having 1 reducer perform the job. This can affect scale and performance.

I would allow default parallelism and use the hdfs dfs -getmerge option. For an input point of view, Here is a tip to Combine Small files.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I believe generally hard coding parallel is a bad idea in your pig script. With Parallel 1, you are effectively having 1 reducer perform the job. This can affect scale and performance.

I would allow default parallelism and use the hdfs dfs -getmerge option. For an input point of view, Here is a tip to Combine Small files.