Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Best way to import a database into impala

Explorer

Hi, 

I have a database and i want to find the best way to import it into impala. Please help me.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Expert Contributor

Impala shares metadata and data with Hive. You can use sqoop to import the tables from your database into hive. Don't forget to run 'invalidate metadata' in Impala after the ingestion is done. Otherwise, you can't see the imported tables.

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

If a sqoop job failed/crashed in the middle of importing a table, the table is imported. When you run this job again, it will start from zero so you need to clear the partially imported data first. 

Alternatively, if you know which rows are not imported yet, you can use the WHERE clause when you restart the job to import the rest rows.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Impala shares metadata and data with Hive. You can use sqoop to import the tables from your database into hive. Don't forget to run 'invalidate metadata' in Impala after the ingestion is done. Otherwise, you can't see the imported tables.

Explorer

@robbiez 

Thanks for your answer, but I want also to ask something.

If I have a big amount of data which are to be parsed and something goes wrong in the process of parsing, the parsing will start from the zero or I can do something in order to start again from the part which crashed the process? 

Expert Contributor

If a sqoop job failed/crashed in the middle of importing a table, the table is imported. When you run this job again, it will start from zero so you need to clear the partially imported data first. 

Alternatively, if you know which rows are not imported yet, you can use the WHERE clause when you restart the job to import the rest rows.