Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

CDH installation: Failed to create HDFS directory /tmp.

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted

CDH installation: Failed to create HDFS directory /tmp.

Explorer

Hi, I am installing CDH with CM (Path C) , but I can't create HDFS directory /tmp successfully. The log shows:

2017-05-03 22:17:27,838 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeResourceChecker: Space available on volume '/dev/disk/by-uuid/526841aa-13c2-4953-94ee-992b7f2fe6c9' is 0, which is below the configured reserved amount 104857600

2017-05-03 22:17:27,838 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: NameNode low on available disk space. Already in safe mode.

2017-05-03 22:17:27,838 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.StateChange: STATE* Safe mode is ONResources are low on NN. Please add or free up more resources then turn off safe mode manually. NOTE: If you turn off safe mode before adding resources, the NN will immediately return to safe mode. Use "hdfs dfsadmin -safemode leave" to turn safe mode off.

+ /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.4.7-1.cdh5.4.7.p0.3/lib/hadoop-hdfs/bin/hdfs --config /opt/cloudera-manager/cm-5.4.7/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/60-hdfs-NAMENODE-createtmp dfs -mkdir -p /tmp mkdir: Cannot create directory /tmp. Name node is in safe mode.

+ '[' 1 -eq 0 ']' + echo 'Unable to create directory /tmp; see stderr log.'

+ exit 1

but when I check with 'df -h' , it shows I should have enough disk space:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 22 09:35 /dev/disk/by-uuid/526841aa-13c2-4953-94ee-992b7f2fe6c9 -> ../../sda1

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

udev 32G 4.0K 32G 1% /dev

tmpfs 6.3G 1.6M 6.3G 1% /run

/dev/sda1 212G 124G 78G 62% /

BTW, I have re-installed several times.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CDH installation: Failed to create HDFS directory /tmp.

Explorer

Got it fixed!

Directory '/dfs/nn' has been removed before, but 'dfs/dn' is still there! After I removed all these directories, it works!

3 REPLIES 3

Champion

Could you check your hdfs-site.xml

for the below  parameter

dfs.namenode.resource.du.reserved

looks like you have allocated only 100MB - i can see that in you error log.

Increase it accordingly  and restart the namenode . it should fix the problem

Champion

@BobinGZ

Go to the path it mentioned and run the command "du -sh" and make sure it is greater than reserved amount 104857600

Explorer

Got it fixed!

Directory '/dfs/nn' has been removed before, but 'dfs/dn' is still there! After I removed all these directories, it works!