Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CDH4 : Add new node to existing cluster

New Contributor

I have successfully created hadoop cluster with CDH4 on ubuntu . I have created this with one master(master) and one slave(slave1) . Now I want to add one more cluster . For this I just cloned slave2 and updated hosts and ssh accordingly . Then I updated conf/slaves file with all datanode dns names in all nodes and restarted everything . But it's not detecting the new datanode instead it only shows the old one that is slave1 not slave2 . Can anyone please help me on this ?

I have used cdh4-repository_1.0_all.deb 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

If you start the cluster manually (so you start all services manually) you dont even need the slaves file and ssh. This is only needed if you use the start scripts. The datanode will contact its configured namenode on startup and "offer" his service. So if you started the datanode manually, you should check its log file and see why he is not able to contact the namenode.

br

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Contributor

If you start the cluster manually (so you start all services manually) you dont even need the slaves file and ssh. This is only needed if you use the start scripts. The datanode will contact its configured namenode on startup and "offer" his service. So if you started the datanode manually, you should check its log file and see why he is not able to contact the namenode.

br