Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CDP private cloud experience cluster requirements

Explorer

Hi,

I'm trying to setup the data engineering experiences (ECS) on top of a CDP base installation.

These are licensed installations, so we first installed and configured a base cluster and we have been working on it.

We want to setup the data experiences so we can move some work between the cdp public cloud and the cdp private cloud experiences since the control planes are similar. The goal is to work from the CDP private ECS enabled cluster and not use the base cluster unless any components are needed for the ECS/experiences cluster from the base.

Trying to comb through the documentation to find the relationship between CDP base and CDP ECS enabled experiences cluster. What roles/manager/services are being used from base cluster in the experiences cluster? Understand a base "core" (manager/runtime etc.) is needed but not sure if I understand the dependencies between the two. The documentation says start with a base cluster and install ECS - well there a many flavors for base templates and custom roles one can setup. What is the minimum need here? 

Ultimately, we just want to use the elastic services from the experience CDP private ECS cluster if everything can be served from there and not waste resources for the base. 

Could someone explain this please or reference a document/blob with the explanation?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

Ok, @aval, if you are after the CDP Base requirements that are needed to install CDP Data Services (formerly experiences), then check the list at the bottom of this page: 

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-data-services/1.3.4/installation-ecs/topics/cdppvc-insta...

For all dependencies between various services, you can consult this table: https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-base/7.1.7/installation/topics/cdpdc-service-dependencie...

Hope this helps,

Alex

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Collaborator

Hi @aval ,

These are all great questions. You mentioned that these are licensed installations, so you may want to work with the account team from Cloudera to answer these questions. There is a lot of detail that would not be tractable to cover in a forum post. If you are not sure who to talk to, open a support case with Cloudera and ask to be connected with the account team for your enterprise.

Best wishes,

Alex

@aval 

I don't personally have the required expertise (yet) to answer your question, but I did want to attempt to clarify the question for other community members who do.

In paragraph 2, you write:

We want to setup the data experiences so we can move some work between the cdp public cloud and the cdp private cloud experiences since the control planes are similar.

I think, based on the rest of your question, that you intended to write "…so we can move some work between cdp private cloud base and the cdp private cloud experiences since the control planes are similar.". It's important to be clear about this because Cloudera does have a product called CDP public cloud, but that "form factor" of CDP only works on the infrastructure provided by the so-called hyperscalers, or CSPs such as AWS, Azure and GCP. The on-premises offering is called CDP Private Cloud. Please update this thread with a new, clarifying post if you really want to know how to move workloads between cdp public cloud and cdp private cloud experiences clusters.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer

Trying to clarify my original post as requested..

The intent was indeed to say that we're moving work between CDP public cloud -> CDP private cloud experiences. That is one of the significant advantages of the cloudera offering, a hybrid cloud solution that offers similar experiences between on-prem (private cloud) and public cloud solutions. 

Glad you pointed out this statement in my above post which could be confusing as my question is really about CDP private base -> CDP private experiences dependencies. Hope that makes it clear.

Master Collaborator

Ok, @aval, if you are after the CDP Base requirements that are needed to install CDP Data Services (formerly experiences), then check the list at the bottom of this page: 

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-data-services/1.3.4/installation-ecs/topics/cdppvc-insta...

For all dependencies between various services, you can consult this table: https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-base/7.1.7/installation/topics/cdpdc-service-dependencie...

Hope this helps,

Alex

Explorer

Thanks for that! That's helpful.