Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can Microsoft/Hortonworks ODBC Driver provide bi-directional connectivity with Microsoft Access?

Customer has an Access database application and they would like to (a) connect to Hive and extract data, and also (b) take resulting Access DB data and ODBC connect & load it into an existing Hive table from within Microsoft Access (not via Sqoop or via flat file). I am currently installing the driver and will soon test out option (a), but would like to know if option (b) is possible.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@bpreachuk Using ODBC driver is the cleanest way to do it.

Access --> RDBMS --> Hive using Sqoop.

Looking forward to see the final update

Kudos to this guy Link

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks Birender and Neeraj. I was looking into the Access -> SQL Server -> Hive approach since we already have a SQL Server on the box - but if I can get it to work via MS Access directly I will do so. I'll update the ticket here with how it all turns out. I will write up what worked if I am able to easily get the Access -> Hive Insert connection working.

Great, looking forward to hearing the results.

Master Mentor

@bpreachuk Using ODBC driver is the cleanest way to do it.

Access --> RDBMS --> Hive using Sqoop.

Looking forward to see the final update

Kudos to this guy Link

Here is an update on this task:

ODBC read from Hive -> Access works fine (not a surprise).

ODBC from Access to Hive runs as RBAR - one row at a time. This is sub-optimal in the RDBMS world, but REALLY crummy in the Hadoop world. This means 1 Hive session per row updated. We were getting about 150 rows updated every 10 minutes.

When sending data form Access to Hive, we will be implementing using Access -> SQL Server -> Sqoop into Hive.

We may try out Simba drivers in the future - more for curiosity - to see if they perform better with updates - or have the ability to batch updates into Hive.

Thanks Neeraj and Birender!

Master Mentor

Thanks @bpreachuk for updating the thread!!!