Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can kerberos kdc be configured with a vip for HA/loadbalancing purposes?

While trying to configure kdc with a Virtual IP, we are getting the below error

Could not find user in Kerberos database

Ambari fails the install.

VIP is needed for loadbalancing and HA.

When single node IP is used for kdc, then the install is successful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm working on adding an (Optional) step in this doc: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.0/bk_Ambari_Security_Guide/content/_launching_...that mentions how to alter the Advanced krb5-conf template to include another kdc entry. That's all you need to do to @hkropp's point is mention each individual KDC and the Kerberos client will deal with failover in the event one is unavailable. Something like this:

kdc = {{kdc_host}}
kdc = host2.hortonworks.local
kdc = host3.hortonworks.local

The {{kdc_host}} is substituted for the host that you have configured in the KDC Host input field. In future versions we'll make this KDC Hosts (comma-separated) to make it easier.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Collaborator

I don't think a VIP is necessary, in your krb5.conf you simply set multiple kdc entries. For admin kdc just one. I think only master slave model is possible with MIT Kerberos. See here for sample: http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-devel/doc/admin/conf_files/krb5_conf.html#sample-krb5-conf-file

As changes to the kdc are rare, as you will not add people users to the project every day, as simple sync between two kdc is sufficient as is the Master Slave model.

I'm working on adding an (Optional) step in this doc: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.0/bk_Ambari_Security_Guide/content/_launching_...that mentions how to alter the Advanced krb5-conf template to include another kdc entry. That's all you need to do to @hkropp's point is mention each individual KDC and the Kerberos client will deal with failover in the event one is unavailable. Something like this:

kdc = {{kdc_host}}
kdc = host2.hortonworks.local
kdc = host3.hortonworks.local

The {{kdc_host}} is substituted for the host that you have configured in the KDC Host input field. In future versions we'll make this KDC Hosts (comma-separated) to make it easier.

Master Mentor

Thanks @Paul Codding for taking care of this...very helpful to have in official docs.

Sorry, my question had a 2 part. Sorry I did not make that clear.

Setting up different kdcs as suggested above works for configuration and HA.

However, the user wants to configure a kdc with a load balancer to ease up the traffic.

if 2 kdcs are setup, then users can still connect to the heavy used one instead of being redirected to the idle one via loadbalancer. Does this make sense?

Master Mentor

@William Gonzalez Thanks for raising this!!