Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can proxyuser group be redefined as something else?

Expert Contributor

Dumped the current listing (Ambari > Admin > Service Accounts; in prep for physical deployment, and need to register these with a central service (but not AD/LDAP). Currently on HDP 2.3.0 and Ambari 2.1.1, but will be deploying to latest & greatest.

Questions: 1) Can "Proxyuser Group" be redefined to something other than "users?" 2) We have all of our 'human' users in group 'hadoop' on the PoC cluster. Is this a requirement? I'd prefer to have only service accounts in the hadoop group if possible. 3) We do not currently have Ranger installed, but plan to deploy. What service account(s) and/or group(s) will this service require?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@Cassandra Spencer, the answers are simple: (1) No, it can be any other group. Actually, I don't use this setting, rather set groups per proxy-user (to "*" or particular groups). (2) Human users: No, human users can be in any group. I usually keep service accounts in the hadoop group, like what you plan to do. (3) Ranger will require its own service account, by default called "ranger". It can be in its own group, I use the "hadoop" group. If your cluster is kerberized you'll need one more account usually called "rangerlookup" to facilitate autocompletion of databases, tables etc, with a headless principal and a password (keytab unsupported). The docs talk about a rangerlookup account per service (hdfs, hbase, etc.) but I use only one.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Guru

@Cassandra Spencer, the answers are simple: (1) No, it can be any other group. Actually, I don't use this setting, rather set groups per proxy-user (to "*" or particular groups). (2) Human users: No, human users can be in any group. I usually keep service accounts in the hadoop group, like what you plan to do. (3) Ranger will require its own service account, by default called "ranger". It can be in its own group, I use the "hadoop" group. If your cluster is kerberized you'll need one more account usually called "rangerlookup" to facilitate autocompletion of databases, tables etc, with a headless principal and a password (keytab unsupported). The docs talk about a rangerlookup account per service (hdfs, hbase, etc.) but I use only one.

Expert Contributor