Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can't upload to port 22, host entry wrong?,I have difficulties getting started with the sandbox

New Contributor

I cannot figure out what is wrong: I am working with the sandbox. When I try to upload data via ssh, I get this:

[root@sandbox ~]# scp -P 2222 ~/Downloads/trace_50.zip root@localhost:/root

ssh: connect to host localhost port 2222: Connection refused

lost connection

Eventually my editing of /etc/hosts was wrong: this is my /etc/hosts on a mac:

127.0.0.1localhost 255.255.255.255broadcasthost ::1 localhost 127.0.0.1 sandbox.hortonworks.com

And in Ambari my host shows as faulty and with a different address:

8681-bildschirmfoto-2016-10-19-um-141024.png

Help is greatly appreciated!

This is what I get after I started my virtual machine:

8674-bildschirmfoto-2016-10-19-um-112437.png

How do I start the tutorial from here? Is that correct? When I Go to Launch dashboard, I get into armari, but don not know the login credentials. Can someone please help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Sabine Maennel , you have got it wrong. You are running scp command from the sandbox terminal itself which doesn't have ~/Downloads/trace_50.zip. Run this command from the local machine terminal and the file will be copied. Let us know if you get any issue.

PS - Do Not change the port to 2122. 2122 is for VM and 2222 is for docker container. Use 2222 because HDP components are installed in the docker container.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Explorer

Hi @Sabine Maennel,

Regarding the scp question, if you are on Sandbox 2.5 (virtualbox) try using port 2122 (If you are running a different version please provide the details.)

E.g. scp -P 2122 ./test.txt root@localhost:/root

You can see all the ports set for forwarding in your local machine by going to the virtualbox menu / machine / settings / network / advanced / port forwarding.

Regarding login in to Ambari, you can follow this tutorial which will walk you through login in as maria_dev who has limited rights in Ambari but also walk you through setting up the admin password so you can login with full admin rights.

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-the-ropes-of-the-hortonworks-sandbox/

Regarding the tutorials, if you are unable to access the tutorials through the sandbox they are also available in this URL: http://hortonworks.com/tutorials/

I hope this helps!

- Luis

Explorer

One comment on the tutorials question. When you go to http://localhost:8888 and click on launch dashboard, in addition to the Ambari page the tutorials page pops up in a separate window. Note that the popup blocker may prevent this page from displaying. Adjust your browser settings accordingly or just head out to the tutorials page referenced above.

New Contributor

Thank you Lois for helping me out. I can log in to Ambari now, I used the tutorial to do it.

Explorer

You are welcome @Sabine Maennel , please accept the best answer to close the thread.

Super Collaborator

@Sabine Maennel , you have got it wrong. You are running scp command from the sandbox terminal itself which doesn't have ~/Downloads/trace_50.zip. Run this command from the local machine terminal and the file will be copied. Let us know if you get any issue.

PS - Do Not change the port to 2122. 2122 is for VM and 2222 is for docker container. Use 2222 because HDP components are installed in the docker container.

New Contributor

Thank you mrizi, I got it know. I appreciate your help with this.

Super Collaborator

No problem @Sabine Maennel , please accept the best answer to close the thread.

Contributor

@Luis Figueroa: Thank you for your suggestion however it doesn't work for me:

I am using HDP 2.5, and I need to transfer a file from my local windows host to sandbox, here is my command:

scp -P 2122 /RXIE/..../test.csv root@localhost:root

I received the following error message:

ssh: connection to host localhost port 2122: Connection refused

Thank you.