Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can we do column value level restriction in Apache ranger ?

Expert Contributor

Can we create policy for value of a selected column ( in a hive table ) in Ranger.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
11 REPLIES 11

Super Guru

Expert Contributor

@Sagar Shimpi

Thank you, do you have the doc which lists all the functionalities of Ranger and ATLAS.

Super Collaborator

@Dinesh Das

Row Filtering and Column masking are supported in Ranger. This may cater your use case of column value level restriction. Please check it out and let us know is this what you were looking for?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Row-level+filtering+and+column-masking+using+Apac...

Expert Contributor

@Ramesh Mani Sure, Thanks for the post let me try all these

Expert Contributor

@Ramesh Mani

Restriction through Ranger is neither working on HIVE CLI nor BEELINE CLI. I can able to fetch full data when am using select command in hive/beeline cli . Its only working in Hive view. am I doing anything wrong here !?

Super Collaborator

@Dinesh Das Ranger is not supported in HIVE CLI. What version of HDP are using? If Ranger Policy is not in effective may be the plugin is not enabled correctly or something wrong. Do you get any audit in Ranger admin? Also as @svenkat requested please provide your use case that will help us.

Expert Contributor

@Ramesh Mani

Yes am able to do audit in ranger and am using HDP 2.5

Rising Star

@Dinesh Das, can you explain what is your exact use case with one or more concrete examples of what you are trying to do exactly? Your problem statement is somewhat vague.