Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can we set hive scratchdir at user level?

Explorer

Hi Team,

We have multitenant platform , We are using hdp 2.4 with kerborose authentication.

since its multi tenant/multi user platform we ahve different accounts setup per user.

when different users run hive queries such as insert overwrite table XYZ select * from ABC;

then hive by default refers to /tmp as scratchdir to do intermediate data processing .At the end when it tries to move data \

from /tmp to respective EZ for that user lets say /apps/hive/warehouse/<user-ez-dir> it fails with below error Failed with exception

Unable to move source hdfs ://HDPXYZ/tmp/hive/<user_name>/<some encrypted string> to destination hdfs://HDPXYZ/apps/hive/warehouse/<user_ez_dir>.

I know we can set scratchdir while running the script through -hiveconf.

I am interested to know if we can sett somewhere per user basis as we can't set it globally in hive-site.xml as there are multiple users

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
@Gokul Dighe

Can you please check the permissions on your warehouse directory and Ranger permissions for the failed users. I think the issue is in your destination and not source.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Guru
@Gokul Dighe

Can you please check the permissions on your warehouse directory and Ranger permissions for the failed users. I think the issue is in your destination and not source.

Contributor

Can you explain in detail as how you solved, facing similar issue now. Thanks in advance.