Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can you connect Windows HDP client to Linux HDP 2.2.6 kerberos enabled cluster?

Cloudera Employee

We are using SAS Access on a Windows 7 workstation and attempting to connect to a HDP 2.2.6 kerberos enabled cluster. We have been able to install and configure the client software on the Windows workstation but are not able to connect to the cluster for read/write operations, getting kerberos errors. I do understand that this is not a supported configuration but I am looking for someone that has experience configuring this solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

@sbrennan

I went through the same setup (SAS Access on Windows7 and HDP 2.2.6), they were indifferent REALMs as well.

You will need:

• MIT Kerberos installed on your windows machine.
  • krb5.ini file that has all the information of the realm where your hadoop cluster is, put it on your windows machine
  • KRB5_CONFIG (pointing to the krb5.ini) & KRB5CCNAME system environment variables.
  • In my case i had to put the edge node name and IP in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts as we had an issue with reverse DNS

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

As long as you've got a single REALM in between your cluster and the windows workstation or otherwise a single TRUST in between both REALM it should just work.

If you've not gone through that yet, you will need to install the MIT kerberos on your windows workstation.

Explorer

We do have someone leveraging this configuration. That is, SAS 9.4m2 w SAS Access to Hadoop on a Windows 7 Server, connecting to HDP 2.2.6. They are currently installing MIT kerberos on the Windows machine as well.

Contributor

@sbrennan

I went through the same setup (SAS Access on Windows7 and HDP 2.2.6), they were indifferent REALMs as well.

You will need:

• MIT Kerberos installed on your windows machine.
  • krb5.ini file that has all the information of the realm where your hadoop cluster is, put it on your windows machine
  • KRB5_CONFIG (pointing to the krb5.ini) & KRB5CCNAME system environment variables.
  • In my case i had to put the edge node name and IP in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts as we had an issue with reverse DNS

Contributor

I forgot, and the Namenodes as welll should be added to the hosts file on the windows machine.