Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cause for sleeping threads in Nifi flows

Expert Contributor

Hello,

My custom java processor becomes unresponsive after being idle for a while resulting in or causing subsequent flows to fail. I used the ./nifi.sh dump thread-dump.txt to capture the problem and I've attached the resulting file. thread-dump.txt It appears that the dump shows predominately TIMED_WAITING on java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject, but I'm not sure how to interpret this issue.

This is a continuation of the question asked earlier (https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/79331/debugging-custom-nifi-unresponsive-flows.html#answer-79337), but since I answered as satisfied I'm not sure that it will be monitored.

Thanks,

~Sean

3 REPLIES 3

Master Guru

Can you provide some more information like what is your flow doing (screenshot/template)? what is your custom processor doing? how do you know it is unresponsive? what version of NiFi are you using? Thanks.

Expert Contributor

I realize my question is too vague to assist based on what I've provided. I'm not sure the "thread-dump.txt" is even capturing anything related to the problem. I know the processor is entering the exception part of the custom code, but I cannot get the inherent getLogger() to produce the error logs. (I've tried a standard System.out.println as well, but I'm not sure where the console output would be written to) I've seen examples where the logger is instantiated via "final ComponentLog logger = getLogger()" and other examples that suggest the getLogger() is inherented from the "AbstractProcessor" thus no instantiation is required. What is further confusing that if I try the above I see an no such method errors on the 'org.apache.nifi.logger.ProcessorLog' which I thought was deprecated.

Our NiFi is running on HDF Version 2.0.1. Thanks of any assistance you can provide.

Expert Contributor

The issue was with the customized bundle utilizing a NiFi 0.5 api where the NiFi running the processor was at 1.0.0.