Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Clock Offset Bad on cloudera manager server

Explorer

Hi All,

I have a test Cloudera Cluster composed by three servers(one with the cloudera manager and 2 data nodes). Sometime, but no more than twice a day, it happens that arrives an alert about Clock offset bad for a node. Once I log in into the server of the alert I have checked the service ntp with the command service ntp status and it seems to be  ok giving me this output telling me is running: 

Oct 30 12:46:25 mbesrvcdrmw1.mbeitaly.mbe.lan ntpd[5586]: 0.0.0.0 0615 05 clock_sync
Oct 30 12:46:26 mbesrvcdrmw1.mbeitaly.mbe.lan ntpd[5586]: 0.0.0.0 c618 08 no_sys_peer

I have tried to execute this command ntpq -np on all three servers and, for every one, there's in the output " * " in the beginning of a server line demonstrating the sync it's active.

I have also tried to restart the ntp service with service ntpd  restart and it seems to work but sometime the error reappears but spontaneously, after 15-20 minutes, fix itself automatically.

You can find in the attach the full output of these two commands. 

Do you have any ideas about how to fix this matter permanently ?

Many thanks in advance

Stefano 

ntp_command.PNGclock_offset.PNG

4 REPLIES 4

Guru

Hi @teolux ,

Do you have chronyd running on this host? Cloudera Manager agent will run the following command to determine if chronyd is running:

# pidof chronyd

If there is a chronyd process running, then the above command will return the PID of that process. Please run the "pidof chronyd" command and see what the output is. If there is a PID returned, use "ps aux | grep <pid>" to find out what that process actually is.

If you do not want to use chronyd, then disable that. Also restart Cloudera manager agent afterwards.

Thanks and hope this helps,
Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Explorer

Hello  @lwang ,

Many thanks for your answer. I've just performed the command:

# pidof chronyd

on my machine and I have not installed cronyd  on the machines due to no PID returned. If I understand well this is like a tool used to sync the clock of the Operative system to the NTP server clock. Do you think it could be a good thing to install it for a permanent fix of the ntp clock issue ? Or maybe the restart of the ntpd service?

Today I have still received the alert but after 20-30 minutes spontaneously everything returned green then it's not a serious block problem. 

Many thanks in advance

I'm available for any clarification

Regards,

Teolux

Teolux 

Guru

Hi @teolux ,

You may want to read this thread:

https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/Should-Cloudera-NTP-use-Chrony-or-NTPD/td-p/5598...

Basically Either NTP or Chrony can be used.

Thanks,
Li

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Guru

Hi @teolux ,

I am following up to see if you will be installing chronyd? Hope you have resolved the issue already.

Thanks,

Li

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum