Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudera Manager reinstallation and manage existing cluster

Rising Star

Hi everyone,

Let say my existing Cloudera manager is managing a 10 node cluster. What happen if my cloudera manager server is down?(my cloudera management service is on diffrerent server and I'm using external database for the setup). 

Can I immediately setup a new server, reinstall cloudera manager here, and manage the existing cluster without too much effort on the configuration and setup? I'm worried about the TLS setting, keberos setting,etc. Can it be preserve and work the way it was before the cloudera manager is replaced

I believe the data in the HDFS should be safe right? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@muslihuddin The CM server down situation will not affect any HDFS data. 

For your specific use case you need: 

1. A backup of CM DB (NOTE: This is most important to get your old configuration back)

2. Then you can install CM server on another hosts and restore the old CM DB backup and you should be able to monitor the old cluster again. 

You old monitoring data will not be available as that is still resides on different node so you will loose that at this point means old info in charts and dashboard will be not available. 

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Guru

@muslihuddin The CM server down situation will not affect any HDFS data. 

For your specific use case you need: 

1. A backup of CM DB (NOTE: This is most important to get your old configuration back)

2. Then you can install CM server on another hosts and restore the old CM DB backup and you should be able to monitor the old cluster again. 

You old monitoring data will not be available as that is still resides on different node so you will loose that at this point means old info in charts and dashboard will be not available. 

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Rising Star

Thanks @GangWar . Thats mean, if my CM Database resides outside of the CM server itself and it is working fine, I can skip the restoring old CM DB part right?I just need to install new CM and point it to the existing CM DB using the installation wizard correct?

But for the old monitoring data part,I believe my old monitoring data might be available since my cm management services data is still available in another server. Isn't that the case?

Thanks

Master Guru

@muslihuddin Yes, that's right. 

Cheers!

Rising Star

Alright.

THanks man