Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudera deployment for Azure has a dead link

New Contributor

In the guide "Cloudera Enterprise Reference Architecture for Azure Deployments" (

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/other/reference-architecture/topics/ra_azure_deployment.html), it mentions "

However, the link of "Azure GitHub Repository" (https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/tree/master/cloudera-on-centos) is not valid anymore.

Do you have the valid link or could you fix the documentation? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Lsh 

The the guide you are referring to is for Altus Director. Altus Director's purpose was to enable reliable self-service for using CDH and Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub with the infrastructure available from cloud service providers such as Azure.

I can't speak authoritatively to the status of the GitHub Repository you mentioned. I would guess that it was intentionally retired because Altus Director has already reached its End of Support (EoS) date. Cloudera's lifecycle support policies are documented here:

Support lifecycle policy (open that link and then expand the section labeled "Cloudera Altus (Platform as a service)" underneath Current End of Support (EoS) Dates).

At that last link (as of this writing) you can also read that Cloudera 6.3 (expand the section labeled "Cloudera Enterprise products") is only supported until the end of March 2022 (the last version of Director was 6.3.1). For eligible customers, Limited Support for CDH versions 6.2 and 6.3 will be provided during the six-month period beginning on April 1, 2022, and ending on September 30, 2022.

So you should understand that in the best case circumstance, any testing you plan to do deploying CDH using Altus Director will essentially become obsolete later this year. For that reason, I would not recommend spending time learning how to deploy CDH using Altus Director or any other tool.

Cloudera's current Enterprise Data Platform, since the Fall of 2019, is Cloudera Data Platform (CDP), which in its cloud-based "form factor" is now called CDP Public Cloud. CDP supersedes CDH as Cloudera's Enterprise Data Platform offering. If you are looking to evaluate a current data platform for use within your company utilizing Azure, then you can follow the instructions for using the latest CDP stack with the public cloud option by consulting the Azure quick start documentation.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Lsh 

The the guide you are referring to is for Altus Director. Altus Director's purpose was to enable reliable self-service for using CDH and Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub with the infrastructure available from cloud service providers such as Azure.

I can't speak authoritatively to the status of the GitHub Repository you mentioned. I would guess that it was intentionally retired because Altus Director has already reached its End of Support (EoS) date. Cloudera's lifecycle support policies are documented here:

Support lifecycle policy (open that link and then expand the section labeled "Cloudera Altus (Platform as a service)" underneath Current End of Support (EoS) Dates).

At that last link (as of this writing) you can also read that Cloudera 6.3 (expand the section labeled "Cloudera Enterprise products") is only supported until the end of March 2022 (the last version of Director was 6.3.1). For eligible customers, Limited Support for CDH versions 6.2 and 6.3 will be provided during the six-month period beginning on April 1, 2022, and ending on September 30, 2022.

So you should understand that in the best case circumstance, any testing you plan to do deploying CDH using Altus Director will essentially become obsolete later this year. For that reason, I would not recommend spending time learning how to deploy CDH using Altus Director or any other tool.

Cloudera's current Enterprise Data Platform, since the Fall of 2019, is Cloudera Data Platform (CDP), which in its cloud-based "form factor" is now called CDP Public Cloud. CDP supersedes CDH as Cloudera's Enterprise Data Platform offering. If you are looking to evaluate a current data platform for use within your company utilizing Azure, then you can follow the instructions for using the latest CDP stack with the public cloud option by consulting the Azure quick start documentation.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

Thanks @ask_bill_brooks a lot for the detailed explanation and it answered my question.