Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudera manager db set up

Champion Alumni

Hi,

Can I run multiple instances  of cloudera manager pointing to a different oracle database instance in the same oracle cluster with different SIDs.Say I create 3 oracle db instances (o1,o2 and o3) within the same cluster for my dev and qa instances.Is it supported?.

Thanks,

Nishanth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nishan,

This is also fine, so long as you configure the database appropriately to handle the load from 3 CM servers and whatever else you point at it.

When concerned about handling database load from multiple applications, I would expect that it's generally better to run a single instance on a host than to run several instances on the same host, since there would be lower overhead. Multiple instances on the same host can help with isolation, but not with handling more load.

Monitoring databases tend to use a lot of resources if your cluster has a lot of activity, so be cautious about sharing monitoring databases. The database for CM doesn't generally get as much load. Depending on your cluster size / activity and the hardware / tuning you have for your Oracle, you may find it better to run multiple instances on different machines to ensure each daemon performs well.

Thanks,
Darren

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Nishan,

Yes, this is supported. The database for CM does not need to be dedicated to CM. Just be sure to configure it appropriately for multiple CM servers to run on it.

Thanks,

Darren

Champion Alumni

Thank you Darren.Another alternate approach which I was thinking was having different schema names (say  activitymonitor_dev,activitymonitor_qa,clouderamanger_qa etc) in the same data base instance.Do you think there could be any issues if I go via this route.

Thanks,

Nishanth

Hi Nishan,

This is also fine, so long as you configure the database appropriately to handle the load from 3 CM servers and whatever else you point at it.

When concerned about handling database load from multiple applications, I would expect that it's generally better to run a single instance on a host than to run several instances on the same host, since there would be lower overhead. Multiple instances on the same host can help with isolation, but not with handling more load.

Monitoring databases tend to use a lot of resources if your cluster has a lot of activity, so be cautious about sharing monitoring databases. The database for CM doesn't generally get as much load. Depending on your cluster size / activity and the hardware / tuning you have for your Oracle, you may find it better to run multiple instances on different machines to ensure each daemon performs well.

Thanks,
Darren