Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Component level Access in NiFi

Hello

I have a scenario where I am getting confused,

- I have Secured 3 node NiFi cluster [Kerberos]

- Logged in as user 'admin' trying to do file-based authorization with out Ranger

- Created a Process group named Group1 --> 5 processors with in the group

- Set modify privilege on just GetSFTP processor for user 'john' in the Group1.

- Once I set the privilege for GetSFTP, entire process group is allocated with the modify access for john, not just GetSFTP processor.

I am thinking this is not an expected behavior, someone experienced this before?

Thanks,

Jobin George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Jobin George

When you add new components (Process groups or processors), they inherit the policies from the parent component by default. This means the your process group (Group1) has inherited some policies maybe from its parent process group and your processor (getSFTP) has inherited policies from the process group it is inside. My guess is that those inherited policies are allowing user "john" view and "modify" to process group 'Group1'.

When you select a component (process group or processor) and click on the key icon to modify/set its policies, you may notice the following in the "Access Policies" UI that is displayed:

8429-screen-shot-2016-10-12-at-90740-am.png

This line is telling you that the policies you are currently looking at are coming from a parent process group. If you modify any of these policies, what you are really doing is modifying the policies on that parent process group rather then on the actual selected component.

In order to set specific policies for the select component, you must fist click on "Override". You will then see the above effective policy line go away and the specific policy you are currently looking at will be cleared of all entries. Now you can add specific users for this policy that are applied to only tis component. If the component is a process group, any processor or additional process group within will inherit this new policy.

Keep in mind that every policy inherits from its parent by default, so clicking on "Override" only create a new policy accesses for that one policy. You will need to select each available policy for a component and click "Override" for each one where you want to set component specific policy accesses.

8430-screen-shot-2016-10-12-at-91940-am.png

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@Jobin George

When you add new components (Process groups or processors), they inherit the policies from the parent component by default. This means the your process group (Group1) has inherited some policies maybe from its parent process group and your processor (getSFTP) has inherited policies from the process group it is inside. My guess is that those inherited policies are allowing user "john" view and "modify" to process group 'Group1'.

When you select a component (process group or processor) and click on the key icon to modify/set its policies, you may notice the following in the "Access Policies" UI that is displayed:

8429-screen-shot-2016-10-12-at-90740-am.png

This line is telling you that the policies you are currently looking at are coming from a parent process group. If you modify any of these policies, what you are really doing is modifying the policies on that parent process group rather then on the actual selected component.

In order to set specific policies for the select component, you must fist click on "Override". You will then see the above effective policy line go away and the specific policy you are currently looking at will be cleared of all entries. Now you can add specific users for this policy that are applied to only tis component. If the component is a process group, any processor or additional process group within will inherit this new policy.

Keep in mind that every policy inherits from its parent by default, so clicking on "Override" only create a new policy accesses for that one policy. You will need to select each available policy for a component and click "Override" for each one where you want to set component specific policy accesses.

8430-screen-shot-2016-10-12-at-91940-am.png

Thanks,

Matt

Hi @mclark,

Thanks for the reply and for time you spend on zoom. It was confusing that when i make a change in the component it gets added to the Parent group if i don't override, which was some kind of reverse inheritance. The message said only below which made me think there is something wrong:

"Showing effective policy inherited from Process Group Group1. Override this policy."

Thanks Again for clarifying !!