Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Container marked as failed: Spark & YARN

Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to submit a job to Spark via Tinkerpop 3.2.0, but I keep running into this exception:

16/06/30 23:26:09 WARN YarnSchedulerBackend$YarnSchedulerEndpoint: Container marked as failed: container_1467158618360_0050_01_000002 on host: 192.168.2.23. Exit status: 1. Diagnostics: Exception from container-launch.
Container id: container_1467158618360_0050_01_000002
Exit code: 1

From my research, it seems that this is signaling low memory, but I have allocated a lot of memory. Below are all the relevant (I think) configurations.

spark.master=yarn-client
spark.app.id=gremlin
spark.ui.port=4051
spark.yarn.appMasterEnv.CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-mapreduce-client/*:/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-mapreduce-client/lib/*
spark.executor.extraJavaOptions=-Dhdp.version=2.4.2.0-258
spark.executor.instances=4
spark.executor.memory=1g
spark.driver.memory=1g
spark.executor.userClassPathFirst=true
spark.storage.memoryFraction=0.4
spark.shuffle.memoryFraction=0.4
spark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead=4096

I read that this could be caused by a Java version issue. Though the cluster came with Java 1.7, I had to install and use Java 1.8 instead (Tinkerpop requires 1.8). Is this the cause of the exception, and if so, is there any way around it?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

@Zach Kirsch The problem is more likely a lack of correlation between Spark's request for RAM (driver memory + executor memory) and Yarn's container sizing configuration. Yarn settings determine min/max container sizes, and should be based on available physical memory, number of nodes, etc. As a rule of thumb, try making the minimum Yarn container size 1.5 times the size of the requested driver/executor memory (in this case, 1.5 GB).

Contributor

Thanks for the reply! I'm having trouble finding where set the min/max container sizes. Any insight on how to do that?

Expert Contributor

you can set these parameter via ambari YARN Section has min/max container size.