Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Could not determine stack version for component

I have upgraded ambari from 2.5.1.0 to 2.6.2.2 , but I am not able to start few services , zeppelin , hbase ..etc . I am getting below error when I restart the services :

2018-09-03 08:44:39,459 - Could not determine stack version for component zeppelin-server by calling '/usr/bin/hdp-select status zeppelin-server > /tmp/tmp9iDTwc'. Return Code: 1, Output: .
2018-09-03 08:44:39,497 - The 'zeppelin-server' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.5.0.0-1245). This is the version that will be reported.
2018-09-03 08:44:39,642 - Could not determine stack version for component zeppelin-server by calling '/usr/bin/hdp-select status zeppelin-server > /tmp/tmpoOZ1_0'. Return Code: 1, Output: .
2018-09-03 08:44:39,681 - The 'zeppelin-server' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.5.0.0-1245). This is the version that will be reported.
2018-09-03 08:44:40,949 - Getting jmx metrics from NN failed. URL: http://<namenodehsot>:50070/jmx?qry=Hadoop:service=NameNode,name=FSNamesystem

However there is symlink and files fro zeppelin-server :

ls -l /usr/hdp/current | grep -i zeppelin-server

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Sep  3 08:44 zeppelin-server -> /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/zeppelin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Anurag Mishra

As you mentioned that "in other nodes hdp-select is working only on the ambari server node it is creating an issue ."

So please check the Python version on Ambari server host. (looks liek it got updated recently to Python3)

# python --version
# grep 'python' /var/log/yum.log

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

It seems to me problem of /usr/bin/hdp-select since in other cluster if i run the same command it list out the HDP services but here it shows below error :

File "/usr/bin/hdp-select", line 205
    print "ERROR: Invalid package - " + name
                                    ^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

Contributor

You have tried an ambari upgrade or HDP upgrade??

Master Mentor

@Anurag Mishra

Are you sure you are using correct Python version?

SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

The above error indicates that you might be using Python3.

hdp_select.py was not compatible with python 3.

Ambari 2.6.x Python requirement: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.6.2.2/bk_ambari-installation/content/mmsr_softwar...

in other nodes hdp-select is working only on the ambari server node it is creating an issue .

Master Mentor

@Anurag Mishra

As you mentioned that "in other nodes hdp-select is working only on the ambari server node it is creating an issue ."

So please check the Python version on Ambari server host. (looks liek it got updated recently to Python3)

# python --version
# grep 'python' /var/log/yum.log

@Jay Kumar SenSharma Thank for the reply !!!

/usr/bin/hdp-select is working now after changing the python version but still services which are installed in the ambari-server nodes are not starting :

fro zeppelin :

2018-09-03 09:58:17,713 - Could not determine stack version for component zeppelin-server by calling '/usr/bin/hdp-select status zeppelin-server > /tmp/tmps5ZaqL'. Return Code: 1, Output: .
2018-09-03 09:58:17,754 - The 'zeppelin-server' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.5.0.0-1245). This is the version that will be reported.
2018-09-03 09:58:17,902 - Could not determine stack version for component zeppelin-server by calling '/usr/bin/hdp-select status zeppelin-server > /tmp/tmpMyhYQS'. Return Code: 1, Output: .
2018-09-03 09:58:17,937 - The 'zeppelin-server' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.5.0.0-1245). This is the version that will be reported.

for hbase phoenix :

2018-09-03 09:55:49,747 - Could not determine stack version for component phoenix-server by calling '/usr/bin/hdp-select status phoenix-server > /tmp/tmp2TCR7n'. Return Code: 1, Output: .
2018-09-03 09:55:49,785 - The 'phoenix-server' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.5.0.0-1245). This is the version that will be reported.
2018-09-03 09:55:49,915 - Could not determine stack version for component phoenix-server by calling '/usr/bin/hdp-select status phoenix-server > /tmp/tmpekQ6yI'. Return Code: 1, Output: .
2018-09-03 09:55:49,953 - The 'phoenix-server' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.5.0.0-1

245). This is the version that will be reported.

/usr/bin/hdp-select status phoenix-server :

phoenix-server - 2.5.0.0-1245

however /usr/hdp/current/phoenix-server is pointing to the /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/phoenix/bin

Master Mentor

@Anurag Mishra

On Ambari Server host try to execute the following command manually to understand the issue. As the above log indicates that it is still facing some issue while executing that command:

# /usr/bin/hdp-select status zeppelin-server
# /usr/bin/hdp-select status phoenix-server # /usr/bin/hdp-select

Please share the output of above commands.

it started working i forgot to start ambari-agent .