Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Could not generate CSR

Explorer

Hello everyone, 

I have a question about enabling the TLS communication between the hosts in my cluster.

The installation procedure recommends to enable the TLS over the cluster, but when I try to run the following command: 

sudo JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181-cloudera /opt/cloudera/cm-agent/bin/certmanager setup --configure-services

I receive the following errors:

image.png

The first warning is: 

could not generate CSR

image.png

When I check the log I got two errors:

req failed for /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server/certmanager/CMCA/private/ca_key.pem. Exit code: 1 Output:
problems making Certificate Request
139727014807440:error:0D07A097:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_mbstring_ncopy:string too long:a_mbstr.c:158:maxsize=64

Does anyone have the same problem? I am struggling to figure out this issue and after having googled it I have not found much...

If I skip this step, unfortunately, I will not be able to pass the Inspect Network Performance.

I already tried to skip this step, but when I was ending the installation, the file "cert.py" is used to test the connection between the nodes, and it wouldn't work (I already tried) giving me the error: unable to reach the hosts".

Any case, I am able to connect through ssh command from the master to the other nodes, here an example:

image.png

Thanks,

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

Hi @m4x1m1li4n ,

The error message below seems to indicate some data for generating the certificate is exceeding the 64 characters limit.

139727014807440:error:0D07A097:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_mbstring_ncopy:string too long:a_mbstr.c:158:maxsize=64

CN in a certificate may not exceed 64 characters. I wonder if your host name is too long which make it exceed the limit of 64 characters?

Thanks,

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Guru

Hi @m4x1m1li4n ,

The error message below seems to indicate some data for generating the certificate is exceeding the 64 characters limit.

CN in a certificate may not exceed 64 characters. I wonder if your host name is too long which make it exceed the limit of 64 characters?

Thanks,

Li

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Explorer

Hi Li, 

first, thank you so much for your answer! Very appreciated!

Good spot! I registered a subdomain in my Amazon VPC and the etc/host looks like this:

image.png

Therefore, my hostname for the master is the following:

image.png

However, when I re-run the following command:

sudo JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_181-cloudera /opt/cloudera/cm-agent/bin/certmanager --location /opt/cloudera/CMCA setup --configure-services

I receive the following:

image.png

I guess I should remove the key generated and re-do the command.

Do you know how can I do that?

Many thanks,

M

Guru

Hi @m4x1m1li4n ,

Looks like you used custom location. You may want to take a look at the location: 

/opt/cloudera/CMCA

and see if there are some data inside. Try to move those files to different location and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Li

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum