Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Count mismatch while using the parquet file in Spark SQLContext and HiveContext

Rising Star

Hi,

I have developed a simple Java Spark application where it fetch the data from MongoDB to HDFS on Hourly basis.

The data is stored in Parquet format. Once the data is residing in HDFS, the actual testing began.

I am taking a simple row count but it got differed in two scenarios. Will it be possible to have the different count.

Code:

import org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveContext

val hivecontext = new HiveContext(sc)
val parquetFile = hivecontext.parquetFile("/data/daily/2016-08-11_15_31_34.995/*")
parquetFile.count

Result :

Extending the above code and trying to use registerTempTable method the count got differed

Code:

import org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveContext
val hivecontext = new HiveContext(sc)
val parquetFile = hivecontext.parquetFile("/data/daily/2016-08-11_15_31_34.995/*")
parquetFile.registerTempTable("ParquetTable")val ParquetResult = hivecontext.sql("select count(distinct Id) from ParquetTable")ParquetResult.show

Result:

This implies the difference between using the direct count & registering temp table count.

I am confused why the count is mismatch.Can we know the reason behind the difference in the count.

Note :

Its a simple java spark application which extracts the data from MongoDB to HDFS.
There is no intermediate transformation added in the code.

Regards,

Vijay Kumar J

10 REPLIES 10

Expert Contributor

Your question seems to be that count(distinct Id) != count(id) ?

Rising Star

@gopal

If i do total number of Id is 4030. Whether i use distinct or not the result will be same, as the Id doesnt have any duplicate records

Rising Star

Spark version : 1.6.0

hive version : 1.2.1

Rising Star

Hadoop version: 2.7.1.2.4.0.0-169

New Contributor

I am seeing a similar issue too. What is going on?

Master Guru

Are you using any caching?

Have you run the count in hive cli or beeline? Or Spark beeline? Have you looked at it with parquet tools? how many records should there be?

https://github.com/Parquet/parquet-mr/tree/master/parquet-tools

also try with the default SQL Context

try:

SET spark.sql.hive.metastorePartitionPruning=true

Could be an issue between SparkSQL and HiveMetastore.

Rising Star
@Timothy Spann

As per your suggestion i have downloaded the parquet tools from github and tried to package , it is throwing an error.

Failed to execute goal on project parquet-tools: Could not resolve dependencies for project com.twitter:parquet-tools:jar:1.6.0rc3-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find com.twitter:parquet-hadoop:jar:1.6.0rc3-SNAPSHOT in https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of sonatype-nexus-snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced 

Please help me !!!

Master Guru

git clone -b apache-parquet-1.8.0 https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr.git

cd parquet-mr

cd parquet-tools

mvn clean package -Plocal

You will need Java and Maven installed

Copy the /target/parquet-tools-1.8.0.jar to a directory in your path

java -jar ./parquet-tools-1.8.0.jar cat myParquetFilesAreAwewsome.parquet

Rising Star
@Timothy Spann

I have followed the same. Now i can able to read the parquet file. But how can it be solution.