Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Critical alerts for Hive Metastore. Hive not able to write to Oracle DB.

Expert Contributor

2016-04-25 09:14:29,143 ERROR [main]: metastore.HiveMetaStore (HiveMetaStore.java:startMetaStore(6068)) - javax.jdo.JDOUserException: Exception thrown while loading remaining rows of query at org.datanucleus.api.jdo.JDOAdapter.getUserExceptionForException(JDOAdapter.java:1139) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.ForwardQueryResult.closingConnection(ForwardQueryResult.java:296) at org.datanucleus.store.query.AbstractQueryResult.disconnect(AbstractQueryResult.java:107) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.AbstractRDBMSQueryResult.disconnect(AbstractRDBMSQueryResult.java:236) at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQuery$2.transactionPreClose(JDOQLQuery.java:755) at org.datanucleus.store.connection.AbstractManagedConnection.transactionPreClose(AbstractManagedConnection.java:94) at org.datanucleus.store.connection.ConnectionManagerImpl$2.transactionPreRollBack(ConnectionManagerImpl.java:447) at org.datanucleus.TransactionImpl.internalPreRollback(TransactionImpl.java:500) at org.datanucleus.TransactionImpl.rollback(TransactionImpl.java:427) at org.datanucleus.api.jdo.JDOTransaction.rollback(JDOTransaction.java:182) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.rollbackTransaction(ObjectStore.java:505) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getMSchemaVersion(ObjectStore.java:6763) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getMetaStoreSchemaVersion(ObjectStore.java:6732) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.checkSchema(ObjectStore.java:6690) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.verifySchema(ObjectStore.java:6674) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Changing from Oracle 12c to MySQL DB got Hive working without issues.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Expert Contributor

While installing HDP 2.4 using Ambari, Oracle 12c is used as the external DB for Hive Metastore. The service shows green on Ambari when started but the logs <hive-metastore-error.txt> show that hive is not able to write to the external DB (Oracle 12c).

Rising Star

Hello @Joshua Adeleke, I have seen some issues with Oracle and some of our components depending on the version. I will try to gather more information about this case.

Rising Star

Can you check you have tables created in the Oracle instance ?

Expert Contributor

Hello @mlanciaux, the tables were created in the oracle instance.

Rising Star

Can you try to INSERT values in one table in Oracle (test) I guess you have GRANT since you have created tables but just to be sure.

Expert Contributor

Changing from Oracle 12c to MySQL DB got Hive working without issues.

Super Collaborator

Was this ERROR solved? One of the clients i am working is facing the same error. Is there a patch available for metastore to work with oracle.

Expert Contributor

@Satish Bomma The error was not resolved on Oracle 12c. The workaround was to use MySQL instead of Oracle 12c and it worked and is still working fine.

Super Collaborator

Thanks @Joshua Adeleke, this solution is not acceptable for my client as they want to install metastore db in Oracle. Was there any Support tickets opened for this issue?