Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Data Reporting with Excel

Contributor

Hello,

I was doing the following tutorial

https://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/hello-world-an-introduction-to-hadoop-hcatalog-hive-and-pig...

I configured the ODBC for windows 7 but i am not sure which username to use while configuring it.

After this when i click i am here:

Open a new blank workbook. Select Data tab at the top then select “Get External Data” and then select “From Other Data Sources”. Then at the bottom select “From Microsoft Query”. Choose your data source and ours is called Hadoop and you will then see the Query Wizard. We will import the avg_mileage table.

I do not see the database for hadoop. This is the step i am stuck. I see following in my excel.

6647-excel.png

Can anyone help me from this point.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES 10

Super Guru
@Rajinder Kaur

When you setup new ODBC connection in windows, it allows you to "test connection". Were you able to do that? It appears that your ODBC setup on windows is not complete, otherwise it will show up here. Another way to test it, is to use some other SQL tool (like winsql) instead of Excel and test from there if it works.

Contributor

Yes i did test and it was successful.

Contributor
@mqureshi

I got this response

SUCCESS! Successfully connected to data source! ODBC Version: 03.80 Driver Version: 2.1.2.1002 Bitness: 64-bit Locale: en_US

Super Guru

Like @Timothy Spann says, check if you did it under "user dsn" or "system dsn". If it's under system, try it under user dsn.

Master Guru

Contributor

@Timothy Spann

Thanks for your reply. I do all this but when i go in excel, i dnt see my datasource there.

This is the success message I get when i configure the ODBC connection

SUCCESS! Successfully connected to data source! ODBC Version: 03.80 Driver Version: 2.1.2.1002 Bitness: 64-bit Locale: en_US

Master Guru

did you do it under user DSN? sometimes it shows up there. sometimes you have to add it again with new data source. ODBC is touchy

Contributor

@Timothy Spann I can see my hadoop datasource in Excel, but when i click on it , i get driver mismatch error.

Here is my configuration:

6706-cofig.png

Contributor
@Timothy Spann

@mqureshi

Thanks you both! It worked. It was under system DSN, changed it under USEr DSN and it worked. Thanks.

Will move fwd and let you know if i find any other problem.