Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Difference between root in sandbox and HDP?

New Contributor

I am not sure if I am putting the question right. I am trying to learn hadoop by myself and I need some help understand the sandbox system. Currently at this step, http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-the-ropes-of-the-hortonworks-sandbox/

I am using virtual box and when I login using 'root' user in Linux, command 'ls' shows me some files.

When I login with 'root' user in localhost:4200, command ls shows me a different set of files.

Both show '[root@sandbox ~]#', What is the difference between these two locations? Using Winscp I see the Linux root files, but where are the files that I see in 'localhost:4200'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

As a root user you should be able to see same files. You might be in a differerent directory when you use the web shell (4200) vs when you ssh into linux box. run the pwd command and verify you are in the same location when you issue ls

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Guru

As a root user you should be able to see same files. You might be in a differerent directory when you use the web shell (4200) vs when you ssh into linux box. run the pwd command and verify you are in the same location when you issue ls

New Contributor

Hello @Sunile Manjee,

Thanks for helping out. I went back and read the tutorial again and also this thread,

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/42098/trying-to-copy-file-from-my-windows-machine-to-san...

The problem is, I am not getting the shell login as said in the tutorial(under VM Terminal method). I see only sandbox login, but I am forced to use the Linux shell password,

9280-shell.jpg

Additionally I messed up the port number when WINScp ing and it showed these files.

Now after I use the correct port 2222, I am able to see the same files as listed in the web shell,

9301-sbox.png

-Benedict

shell.jpg

New Contributor

I know this is very old, but I also faced the same thing, but sorted out as below and putting to help anyone else facing the same:

You are using different port to connect. There are different ports to be connected - 2122 (HostSSH) and 2202 (Sandbox SSH2).

Web Shell which localhost:4200, connected to 2202 i.e. Sandbox SSH2. So, if you will use 2202 through WinSCP or Filezilla any client, you will see the same files.