Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Disabling TLSv1 & TLS1.1 - Enabling TLSv1.2

Contributor

Hi guys,

A few cipher suites have been flagged as vulnerabilities, I have proceeded to disable them in the ambari.properties config file although the result is a cluster with cut communications.

I have found this link where a member mentions he edited the source code and it was successful.

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/6093/ambari-server-210-how-to-enable-tlsv12-for-the-por....

I need to disable TLSv1 and TLS1.1 and ENABLE TLSv1.2

Am I able to edit the source code after the software has been installed or does this need to be done before the install?

Also..I can't seem to locate where any of the source code for Ambari is..If someone could point me in the right direction ti would be greatly appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17

Guru

Hello @L V,

To disable TLSv1 & TLS1.1 and enabled TLSv1.2, you don't need to change any source code in Ambari. You can simply change the Ambari server configuration file: ambari.properties. I believe, you did the same.

The reason behind losing cluster communication would be Ambari 2.4.x bug where Ambari agents were not able to connect to Ambari server over TLSv1.2. This is fixed in Ambari 2.5.x. Please use this Ambari version and see if you can get TLSv1.2 working.

To reiterate, the required Ambari configuration change would be:

To disable specific protocols, you can optionally add a list of the following format to ambari.properties. If you specify multiple protocols, separate each protocol using a vertical bar |.
security.server.disabled.protocols=SSL|SSLv2|SSLv3

Hope this helps !

New Contributor

Hey @Vipin Rathor

I'm running Ambari 2.7.X on my cluster and I want to disable all protocols but TLSv1.2

Following you suggestion, I've added the following to ambari.properties: security.server.disabled.protocols=SSL|SSLv2|SSLv3|TLSv1.0|TLSv1.1.

Yet, after restarting the server and running a SSL scanner tool, it still marks both TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1 valid.

Could you please help?

Thanks,

Tomer

Contributor

Hi @Vipin Rathor,

Apologies, I should have mentioned that I am using version 2.5.x

Kind regards,

Guru

Oh, then we should look into what happened to Ambari server - agent communication over TLSv1.2. Please have a look at this

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-18910 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-20831

As per them, the changes should be there in Ambari 2.5.x. Once TLSv1.2 is enabled on Ambari server, please verify the same via openssl CLI like this:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:8440 -tls1_2

Regards.

Guru

Attn @L V

Contributor

Hi @Vipin Rathor

Apologies for the delay, I had a look at the two above links regarding the patches. Is there a special procedure to apply those patches or am I supposed to manually edit the source code? If that is the case I was unable to find the '/AmbariServer.java' file.

Kind regards,

LV

Guru

Hello @L V

Since you are already on Ambari v2.5.x, you do not need to edit source code. Please put Ambari server in TLSv1.2 only and then run openssl command to check. Please do share the output with us. Thanks.

Contributor

Hi @Vipin Rathor,

I got the following result:

CONNECTED(00000003)
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
---
No client certificate CA names sent
Peer signing digest: SHA512
Server Temp Key: ECDH, P-256, 256 bits
---
SSL handshake has read 2518 bytes and written 433 bytes
---
New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
Server public key is 2048 bit
Secure Renegotiation IS supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated

Guru

Hello @L V,

The latest openssl output shows that your Ambari Server is actually working on TLSv1.2. Now please check in Ambari agent log if there is any error while it is trying to connect to Ambari server.

Thanks.