Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Disabling the region replication doesn't remove secondaries regions

Explorer

Hi there,

I have some issue with disable the region replication for a table.

HBase version: 2.0.2.3.1.4.0-315

I have region replication enabled on a single table (REGION_REPLICATION => 2), which doubled amount of regions of the table. I keep it for a while and then changed region replication to 1 (via alter 'table', 'cf', {REGION_REPLICATION => '1'}).

What I expected to see is the number of region go down. But it wasn't happened.

What I tried:

• run major compaction
  • restart region servers
  • disable region_replica_replication

Does anyone know what is the procedure for disabling a region replication and how to get rid of secondaries regions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hello @kras 

Unfortunately, there is no Clean Way to remove such Secondary Regions. The concerned issue is tracked via HBASE-24720. 1 Quick Fix would be to create a Snapshot on say, Table_A (Which had RegionReplication reduced from 2 to 1), CloneSnapshot to a new Table (Table_B). Table_B would have 1 Region. 

- Smarak

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Collaborator

Hello @kras 

I was able to reproduce the concerned behaviour as well. Checking internally on the Steps to safely remove the Secondary Regions. Shall Update the Post once a Solution is found.

- Smarak

Super Collaborator

Hello @kras 

Unfortunately, there is no Clean Way to remove such Secondary Regions. The concerned issue is tracked via HBASE-24720. 1 Quick Fix would be to create a Snapshot on say, Table_A (Which had RegionReplication reduced from 2 to 1), CloneSnapshot to a new Table (Table_B). Table_B would have 1 Region. 

- Smarak