Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

DistCp Network considerations

Rising Star

8144-picture1.png

Hi,

We are running distcp / falcon based replication between clusters. As depicted in the diagram above, we have edge nodes configured on both the clusters and a dedicated private network link has been established between them. For normal cluster traffic, I presume it uses the normal firewall channeled network.

However, my understanding of distcp is that it works as name node to name node communication and hence would probably use the firewall route, but not the private link. Can anyone please guide me on how to make use of the private link so that all the replication traffic (which is expected to be huge and also to adhere to SLAs) would be directed through this. Looking for alternate suggestions and ideas to make this more performant.

Thanks

Vijay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy

Edge nodes, while they may be in the same subnet with your HDP clusters, they are really not part of the actual clusters and as such there is no HDP configuration trick to redirect via edge nodes and Private Link. If you wish to use the 10 GB Private Link, it is just a matter of working with your network team to have those HDP clusters communicate via that Private Link instead of the firewall channeled network (doubt that they will want to do it). You did not put a number next to that "Firewall" line, but I assume that is much smaller since you want to use the other one. Maybe the network team needs to upgrade the firewall channeled network to meet the SLA. That is the correct approach and not use some trick to use the Private Link between edge nodes. It would meet your SLA and will also make network team happy to keep the firewall function in place. Network team may be able to peer-up those clusters to redirect the traffic through the private link without going through the edge nodes and by-passing the firewall channeled network, but I am pretty that they will break their network design principles going that way. The best approach is to upgrade the firewall channeled network to meet your needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Guru

@Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy

Edge nodes, while they may be in the same subnet with your HDP clusters, they are really not part of the actual clusters and as such there is no HDP configuration trick to redirect via edge nodes and Private Link. If you wish to use the 10 GB Private Link, it is just a matter of working with your network team to have those HDP clusters communicate via that Private Link instead of the firewall channeled network (doubt that they will want to do it). You did not put a number next to that "Firewall" line, but I assume that is much smaller since you want to use the other one. Maybe the network team needs to upgrade the firewall channeled network to meet the SLA. That is the correct approach and not use some trick to use the Private Link between edge nodes. It would meet your SLA and will also make network team happy to keep the firewall function in place. Network team may be able to peer-up those clusters to redirect the traffic through the private link without going through the edge nodes and by-passing the firewall channeled network, but I am pretty that they will break their network design principles going that way. The best approach is to upgrade the firewall channeled network to meet your needs.