Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Does impala support 'binary' data type ?

Does impala support 'binary' data type ?

New Contributor

Hi ,

I am new to imapala ,my hive table is having one binary type column ( in which I stored an image ).When I tryto query that table in impala  I am getting the following error " ERROR: AnalysisException: Unsupported type 'BINARY' in 'photo_col'."  But the same query is working in Hive .What mistake I am doing please let me know .

I thought that

* there is no BINARY data type in impala unlike hive.

If I am correct , then how to query the hive table's binary column in impala ?

Thanks in Advance...

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Does impala support 'binary' data type ?

Master Collaborator

As you're correctly pointed out Impala currently does not support the BINARY data type, so querying a tablw with that type does not work in Impala.

An idea: You could try altering the column type from BINARY to STRING, and try querying the table with Impala. But beware, I hav enot tried this myself, so no guarantees it will work.

Highlighted

Re: Does impala support 'binary' data type ?

Explorer

It has been a long time since this question was answered.

Has there been further recommendation by Cloudera on this ? Does cloudera support STRING data type to be used to store BINARY data ? or its something that works today and may stop working tomorrow ?