Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Does the HiveContext object expire in Zeppelin after a period of time?

Expert Contributor

I am seeing behaviour where I open a notebook and run a paragraph script in Zeppelin and the script executes and returns the result as expected. Then I leave the notebook open for a few hours - come back and attempt to re-run the same paragraph and get the error: "object 'hiveContext' not found". The only way to resolve this is by restarting the Spark interpreter. Is this expected behaviour? Is there a timeout on the hiveContext perhaps?

Any insight much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Livy sessions are recycled after an hour of session inactivity. This timeout is configured with livy.server.session.timeout

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Expert Contributor

..also is there a way in SparkR to check first if the sparkcontext and hivecontexts are running?

Hi @mike harding

What version of Zeppelin are you using?

Expert Contributor

@mike harding -> are you running Zeppelin (within HDP 2.5 Sandbox) or running Zeppelin standalone?

Expert Contributor

running on HDP2.4

Are you using Zeppelin directly with Spark interpreter or with Livy interpreter?

In Z > Livy > Spark scenario, the Livy session is recycled some time of inactivity. I will report back if default timeout and how to configure it.

To come out of this behavior, you will need to restart Livy interpreter.

Livy sessions are recycled after an hour of session inactivity. This timeout is configured with livy.server.session.timeout