Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Check out our newest addition to the community, the Cloudera Innovation Accelerator group hub.

Drop external hive table with data

Expert Contributor

I have a lot of external table in my hive warhouse and I would to drop all these tables with data automatically.

how can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Yassine

Do alter table on all tables and change the external table to internal table then drop the table.

Example:-

Write a script which can execute below statement for all the tables that are in warehouse directory

hive> ALTER TABLE <table-name> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='False'); //changing the tbl properties to to make the table as internal
hive> drop table <table-name>; //now the table is internal if you drop the table data will be dropped automatically.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Guru

@Yassine

Do alter table on all tables and change the external table to internal table then drop the table.

Example:-

Write a script which can execute below statement for all the tables that are in warehouse directory

hive> ALTER TABLE <table-name> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='False'); //changing the tbl properties to to make the table as internal
hive> drop table <table-name>; //now the table is internal if you drop the table data will be dropped automatically.

Expert Contributor

Awesome, works like a charm