Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Drop external hive table with data

Solved Go to solution
Highlighted

Drop external hive table with data

Expert Contributor

I have a lot of external table in my hive warhouse and I would to drop all these tables with data automatically.

how can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Drop external hive table with data

Super Guru

@Yassine

Do alter table on all tables and change the external table to internal table then drop the table.

Example:-

Write a script which can execute below statement for all the tables that are in warehouse directory

hive> ALTER TABLE <table-name> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='False'); //changing the tbl properties to to make the table as internal
hive> drop table <table-name>; //now the table is internal if you drop the table data will be dropped automatically.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Super Guru

@Yassine

Do alter table on all tables and change the external table to internal table then drop the table.

Example:-

Write a script which can execute below statement for all the tables that are in warehouse directory

hive> ALTER TABLE <table-name> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='False'); //changing the tbl properties to to make the table as internal
hive> drop table <table-name>; //now the table is internal if you drop the table data will be dropped automatically.

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

Awesome, works like a charm

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here