Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Drop external hive table with data

Expert Contributor

I have a lot of external table in my hive warhouse and I would to drop all these tables with data automatically.

how can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@Yassine

Do alter table on all tables and change the external table to internal table then drop the table.

Example:-

Write a script which can execute below statement for all the tables that are in warehouse directory

hive> ALTER TABLE <table-name> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='False'); //changing the tbl properties to to make the table as internal
hive> drop table <table-name>; //now the table is internal if you drop the table data will be dropped automatically.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Guru

@Yassine

Do alter table on all tables and change the external table to internal table then drop the table.

Example:-

Write a script which can execute below statement for all the tables that are in warehouse directory

hive> ALTER TABLE <table-name> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='False'); //changing the tbl properties to to make the table as internal
hive> drop table <table-name>; //now the table is internal if you drop the table data will be dropped automatically.

Expert Contributor

Awesome, works like a charm