Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Easiest way to do a Cloudera Demo

Explorer

Hi,

We have been asked by the client to do a Cloudera Demo. What's the easiest way to deploy such a solution for CDH on a single machine with virtualization?

I was used to deploying it using Cloudera Quickstart VM but it seems that no official version of it is downloadable anymore from Cloudera Website. The closest thing looks like to be the Proof-of-concept version but it looks kind of complicated. Not having VM images for the hosts in the cluster is rather upsetting and looks tedious to implement from scratch.

Thank you,

Cisco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What the Trial Version of CDP Private Cloud Base Edition includes is an installer package. You can view the documentation on how to complete the installation here:

INSTALLING CDP PRIVATE CLOUD BASE

Other members of this community have previously reported success using this approach.

Alternatively, if you're already familiar with Virtualbox and Vagrant, you might consider closely reading @carrossoni 's community article outlining how to create a Centos7 CDP-DC Trial VM for sandbox/learning purposes (CDP Private Cloud was formerly known as CDP Data Center).

Other than that, I have not personally seen any publicly available VM images that can be deployed using Virtualization tools, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. Cloudera's distributions have a vast ecosystem built up around them and it's close to impossible to keep up with everything anyone is producing. But participating in and contributing to this community helps a lot.   😀

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Cisco94 ,

Yes, we are no longer making the Cloudera Quickstart VM available for download (and haven't since March of 2020) because it was old and outdated as it was based on CDH 5.13, which went out of support in the Fall of last year. If you're a registered Cloudera partner, you can probably open a request with your partner contact at Cloudera and still get a copy of it.

I'm curious as to why anyone would ask you to do a demo of CDH at this point in time, or why you are interested in showing your client a distribution which does not include the up-to-date releases of the various Hadoop ecosystem components. Cloudera's current distribution, since the Fall of 2020, is Cloudera Data Platform (or CDP); a Trial Version of CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform can easily be downloaded and installed from the "downloads" section of Cloudera's website.

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Explorer

Thanks @ask_bill_brooks, I wasn't aware of the complete deprecation of CDH and as I had more experience with it (compared with 0 exp on CDP) I automatically started investigating for a demo about that distribution of Cloudera. I will look into the link you provided for the CDP trial version.

Does it include VM images that can be easily deployed using Virtualization tools? This would be very helpful as we don't have too much OS knowledge, but more development-oriented.

Thanks again,

Cisco

What the Trial Version of CDP Private Cloud Base Edition includes is an installer package. You can view the documentation on how to complete the installation here:

INSTALLING CDP PRIVATE CLOUD BASE

Other members of this community have previously reported success using this approach.

Alternatively, if you're already familiar with Virtualbox and Vagrant, you might consider closely reading @carrossoni 's community article outlining how to create a Centos7 CDP-DC Trial VM for sandbox/learning purposes (CDP Private Cloud was formerly known as CDP Data Center).

Other than that, I have not personally seen any publicly available VM images that can be deployed using Virtualization tools, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. Cloudera's distributions have a vast ecosystem built up around them and it's close to impossible to keep up with everything anyone is producing. But participating in and contributing to this community helps a lot.   😀