Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error Starting Cloudera VM on Virtualbox 5.2 on windows

New Contributor

Hi everyone

I start a new conversation because I read many of your messages while trying to solve my problem but I couldn't solve it... Can you please help me?

I downloaded VirtualBox 5.2 and Cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0.

My computer is 7 years old and has an Intel Core i5-3210 (2,5GHz), RAM 8Go and is coded in 64bits.

When I try to start my Cloudera VM, I always get an error message saying:

"VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)
Error Code :
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component :
ConsoleWrap
Interface :
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}"

Do you have any suggestion on this case?

Your help would be much appreciated!! 

Thanks a lot,

Jean Baptiste

1 REPLY 1

Community Manager

I always suggest reviewing our community article How to setup Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine as it reviews some of the common errors. In this particular case you may be hitting on the first common issue discussed. Here is the section to avoid you having to click through. 

1. VMWare and VirtualBox versions of the VM on Windows: In Windows machines, sometimes virtualization needs to be enabled in the BIOS.  Enabling virtualization in a PC is usually a step you take during boot up. As your system boots up, it will flash a message telling you to press a key (e.g. F1, F2, escape) to configure BIOS settings. If you have never run a VM on your laptop before, you will likely have to take this step.The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. Here is a VMware knowledge base article that may help: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 .

I would also check the Intel website to make sure your processor supports CT-x due to its age. Here is a link with instructions for that.

Aside from that error message here is what else I have noticed. Since you posted in the Cloudera Manager board I am assuming you are attempting to use the Cloudera Express or Cloudera Enterprise (trial) version which require 8GB and 12GB of RAM respectively assigned to the VM While your system only has 8GB of RAM total. As the host system will require some of that RAM to run the operating system and VM program you will not have the minimum 8GB required for Cloudera Express. You would need to add RAM to your system (if it can accept more) or use the CDH 5 (default) version without Cloudera Manager. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.39.00 AM.png

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.