Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Escaping EL Issue

Explorer

We are having escaping issues in some expressions. Just an example (using Nifi 1.21.0):

ExpressionValue

{"$${key}": "value"}

{"${key}": "value"}

{"$${key}": "${literal('value')}"}

{"$${key}": "value"}

As one can see, the second expression is not escaping the dollar sign as it should (from the docs, see "Escaping Expression Language"), and just stays as "$$".

Any comments/hints would be much appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Master Mentor

@jisaitua 

Definitely some weird unexpected behavior there. I was able to reproduce your issue, as well as some other unexpected behavior around same area.

As a workaround to your specific issue, the following NiFi Expression Language (NEL) will get you what you are looking for:

{${literal('')}"$${key}":"${literal('value')}"}

I also filed an Apache NiFi jira for this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-11738

I reproduced on an Apache NiFi 1.18 cluster I have running, so it is not an issue that just recently appeared.

If you found that the provided solution(s) assisted you with your query, please take a moment to login and click Accept as Solution below each response that helped.

Thank you,

Matt

View solution in original post

Explorer

Thank you @MattWho, the trick worked! Sadly, it worked for this simple case, but for more complex cases we couldn't find a pattern to apply it. However, we found another workaround by using literals like this:

ExpressionValue
{
"${literal('$${key1}')}": "${literal('$${value1}')}",
"key2": "${literal('$${value2}')}",
"${literal('$${key3}')}": "value3",
"key4": "${literal('value4')}"
}
{
"${key1}": "${value1}",
"key2": "${value2}",
"${key3}": "value3",
"key4": "value4"
}

It's a nasty hack, but it gets the job done! Thanks again for your help and for filling a bug report.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@jisaitua 

Definitely some weird unexpected behavior there. I was able to reproduce your issue, as well as some other unexpected behavior around same area.

As a workaround to your specific issue, the following NiFi Expression Language (NEL) will get you what you are looking for:

{${literal('')}"$${key}":"${literal('value')}"}

I also filed an Apache NiFi jira for this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-11738

I reproduced on an Apache NiFi 1.18 cluster I have running, so it is not an issue that just recently appeared.

If you found that the provided solution(s) assisted you with your query, please take a moment to login and click Accept as Solution below each response that helped.

Thank you,

Matt

Explorer

Thank you @MattWho, the trick worked! Sadly, it worked for this simple case, but for more complex cases we couldn't find a pattern to apply it. However, we found another workaround by using literals like this:

ExpressionValue
{
"${literal('$${key1}')}": "${literal('$${value1}')}",
"key2": "${literal('$${value2}')}",
"${literal('$${key3}')}": "value3",
"key4": "${literal('value4')}"
}
{
"${key1}": "${value1}",
"key2": "${value2}",
"${key3}": "value3",
"key4": "value4"
}

It's a nasty hack, but it gets the job done! Thanks again for your help and for filling a bug report.