Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Exception in thread main - connection reset

Rising Star

I have installed an embedded hbase and solr installation of Atlas and when I tried to run bin/quick_start.py I am getting the following error:

Creating sample types: 
Exception in thread "main" com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at com.sun.jersey.client.urlconnection.URLConnectionClientHandler.handle(URLConnectionClientHandler.java:155)
    at com.sun.jersey.api.client.filter.HTTPBasicAuthFilter.handle(HTTPBasicAuthFilter.java:105)
    at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.handle(Client.java:652)
    at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource.handle(WebResource.java:682)
    at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource.access$200(WebResource.java:74)
    at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource$Builder.method(WebResource.java:634)
    at org.apache.atlas.AtlasBaseClient.callAPIWithResource(AtlasBaseClient.java:297)
    at org.apache.atlas.AtlasBaseClient.callAPIWithResource(AtlasBaseClient.java:287)
    at org.apache.atlas.AtlasBaseClient.callAPI(AtlasBaseClient.java:430)
    at org.apache.atlas.AtlasTypedefClientV2.createAtlasTypeDefs(AtlasTypedefClientV2.java:171)
    at org.apache.atlas.examples.QuickStartV2.createTypes(QuickStartV2.java:196)
    at org.apache.atlas.examples.QuickStartV2.runQuickstart(QuickStartV2.java:143)
    at org.apache.atlas.examples.QuickStartV2.main(QuickStartV2.java:128)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:197)
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:122)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:275)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:334)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:690)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:633)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:661)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1371)
    at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:468)
    at com.sun.jersey.client.urlconnection.URLConnectionClientHandler._invoke(URLConnectionClientHandler.java:253)
    at com.sun.jersey.client.urlconnection.URLConnectionClientHandler.handle(URLConnectionClientHandler.java:153)
    ... 12 more
No sample data added to Apache Atlas Server.

I am using the username and password 'admin'. Can you kindly suggest what might be going wrong?

Thanking you in anticipation. @Ayub Khan any suggestions since you are my first point of contact for Atlas.

17 REPLIES 17

@Bilal Arshad

The exception says - the connection is reset. This could happen in cases when atlas has not come up properly. Can you please see if atlas has started properly by checking its status?

curl -v http://localhost:21000/api/atlas/admin/version

To load quick start model - sample model and data

bin/quick_start.py [<atlas endpoint>]

Rising Star

@Ayub Khan

When I try checking its status with the command mentioned above I am getting the following:

* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache
*   Trying 127.0.0.1...
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 21000 (#0)
> GET /api/atlas/admin/version HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.35.0
> Host: localhost:21000
> Accept: */*
> 
* Empty reply from server
* Connection #0 to host localhost left intact
curl: (52) Empty reply from server

Trying to load quick start model is giving me the same exception as above.

What do you see in the atlas application log? Is it running? check it is running or not by executing "netstat -planet | grep 21000" command.

@Bilal Arshad Any thing on the above? were you able to resolve this?

Rising Star

@Ayub Khan

I got the following upon running the command: netstat -planet | grep 21000

hduser@ubuntu:~/atlas/distro/target/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT-bin/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT$ netstat -planet | grep 21000
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21000           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1001       259958      15739/java      
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:21000         127.0.0.1:54856         TIME_WAIT   0          0           - 

Rising Star

@Ayub Khan

Application.log states the following:

2017-02-22 16:02:14,716 WARN  - [pool-1-thread-5:] ~ HttpConnection@1d3946db{FILLING} (HttpConnection:277)
java.lang.IllegalStateException: s=DISPATCHED i=true a=null
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannelState.handling(HttpChannelState.java:232)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:282)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
2017-02-22 16:02:17,506 WARN  - [pool-1-thread-8:] ~ HttpConnection@a0fc6a6{FILLING} (HttpConnection:277)
java.lang.IllegalStateException: s=DISPATCHED i=true a=null
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannelState.handling(HttpChannelState.java:232)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:282)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Not sure how to fix it?

Rising Star

@Ayub Khan

Also I just happened to look at the atlas.20170222-161714.err file and following are the contents. I presume that the address Atlas needs is already in use? If this is the case how do I free it?

Exception in thread "main" MultiException[java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError, java.net.BindException: Address already in use]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:329)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
        at org.apache.atlas.web.service.EmbeddedServer.start(EmbeddedServer.java:92)
        at org.apache.atlas.Atlas.main(Atlas.java:118)
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:195)
        at org.apache.atlas.ApplicationProperties.getClass(ApplicationProperties.java:120)
        at org.apache.atlas.util.AtlasRepositoryConfiguration.getDeleteHandlerImpl(AtlasRepositoryConfiguration.java:102)
        at org.apache.atlas.RepositoryMetadataModule.configure(RepositoryMetadataModule.java:109)
        at com.google.inject.AbstractModule.configure(AbstractModule.java:62)
        at com.google.inject.spi.Elements$RecordingBinder.install(Elements.java:340)
        at com.google.inject.spi.Elements.getElements(Elements.java:110)
        at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorShell$Builder.build(InjectorShell.java:138)
        at com.google.inject.internal.InternalInjectorCreator.build(InternalInjectorCreator.java:104)
        at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:99)
        at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:84)
        at org.apache.atlas.web.listeners.GuiceServletConfig.getInjector(GuiceServletConfig.java:77)
        at com.google.inject.servlet.GuiceServletContextListener.contextInitialized(GuiceServletContextListener.java:47)
        at org.apache.atlas.web.listeners.GuiceServletConfig.contextInitialized(GuiceServletConfig.java:142)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:800)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ServletContextHandler.java:444)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.startContext(ContextHandler.java:791)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.startContext(ServletContextHandler.java:294)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startWebapp(WebAppContext.java:1349)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1342)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:741)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:505)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:132)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:387)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:114)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:61)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:354)
        at org.apache.atlas.web.service.EmbeddedServer.start(EmbeddedServer.java:92)
        at org.apache.atlas.Atlas.main(Atlas.java:118)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not instantiate implementation: com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.solr.Solr5Index
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.util.system.ConfigurationUtil.instantiate(ConfigurationUtil.java:55)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.Backend.getImplementationClass(Backend.java:421)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.Backend.getIndexes(Backend.java:408)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.diskstorage.Backend.<init>(Backend.java:139)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.graphdb.configuration.GraphDatabaseConfiguration.getBackend(GraphDatabaseConfiguration.java:1748)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.graphdb.database.StandardTitanGraph.<init>(StandardTitanGraph.java:110)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.core.TitanFactory.open(TitanFactory.java:93)
        at com.thinkaurelius.titan.core.TitanFactory.open(TitanFactory.java:73)
        at org.apache.atlas.repository.graphdb.titan0.Titan0GraphDatabase.getGraphInstance(Titan0GraphDatabase.java:115)
        at org.apache.atlas.repository.graphdb.titan0.Titan0GraphDatabase.getGraph(Titan0GraphDatabase.java:171)
        at org.apache.atlas.repository.graph.AtlasGraphProvider.getGraphInstance(AtlasGraphProvider.java:38)
        at org.apache.atlas.repository.graph.GraphHelper.getInstance(GraphHelper.java:113)
        at org.apache.atlas.repository.graph.DeleteHandler.<clinit>(DeleteHandler.java:54)
        ... 32 more

@Bilal Arshad

From the logs, it looks like port on which Atlas is trying to run is already blocked.[Address already in use]

Exception in thread "main" MultiException[java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError, java.net.BindException: Address already in use]

So, I would recommend you to follow the below steps.

1. First stop atlas by running, atlas_stop.py script and make sure atlas is stopped.
  2. Now, with the help of netstat command, check if some other process is already using the atlas port(21000) and kill that process id [kill -9 <pid>].
  3. Now, restart atlas using atlas_start.py and check if that helps.

If the above steps are not helping, then I would recommend you to change the atlas default port from 21000 to some other port(eg: 31000) and then restart. Let me know how it goes.

Rising Star
@Ayub Khan

I followed the steps as suggested above and managed to get the following results:

hduser@ubuntu:~/atlas/distro/target/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT-bin/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT$ bin/atlas_start.py
configured for local hbase.
hbase started.
configured for local solr.
solr started.
setting up solr collections...
Apache Atlas Server started!!!

However I am not able to access the dashboard. I tried running the command:

curl -v http://localhost:21000/api/atlas/admin/version

And it gave me the following output:

hduser@ubuntu:~/atlas/distro/target/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT-bin/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT$ curl -v http://localhost:21000/api/atlas/admin/version
* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache
*   Trying 127.0.0.1...
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 21000 (#0)
> GET /api/atlas/admin/version HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.35.0
> Host: localhost:21000
> Accept: */*
> 
< HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
< Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 09:43:12 GMT
< Cache-Control: must-revalidate,no-cache,no-store
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
< Content-Length: 311
* Server Jetty(9.2.12.v20150709) is not blacklisted
< Server: Jetty(9.2.12.v20150709)
< 
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"/>
<title>Error 503 </title>
</head>
<body>
<h2>HTTP ERROR: 503</h2>
<p>Problem accessing /api/atlas/admin/version. Reason:
<pre>    Service Unavailable</pre></p>
<hr /><i><small>Powered by Jetty://</small></i>
</body>
</html>
* Connection #0 to host localhost left intact

Not sure what this means! :S The atlas-20170223-094455.err file contains the following:

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/hduser/atlas/distro/target/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT-bin/apache-atlas-0.8-incubating-SNAPSHOT/logs/application.log (Permission denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:221)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:142)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:294)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:165)
        at org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.activateOptions(DailyRollingFileAppender.java:223)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:307)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:295)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java:176)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference(DOMConfigurator.java:191)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement(DOMConfigurator.java:523)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseCategory(DOMConfigurator.java:436)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:1004)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:872)
        at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:778)
        at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionConverter.java:526)
        at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:127)
        at org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory.<init>(Log4jLoggerFactory.java:66)
        at org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder.<init>(StaticLoggerBinder.java:72)
        at org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder.<clinit>(StaticLoggerBinder.java:45)
        at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.bind(LoggerFactory.java:150)
        at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.performInitialization(LoggerFactory.java:124)
        at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getILoggerFactory(LoggerFactory.java:412)
        at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:357)
        at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:383)
        at org.apache.atlas.Atlas.<clinit>(Atlas.java:43)
log4j:ERROR Either File or DatePattern options are not set for appender [FILE].