Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Exception when trying to run Hive UDF

Master Guru
hive> add jar urldetector-1.0-jar-with-dependencies.jar;
add jar urldetector-1.0-jar-with-dependencies.jar
Added [urldetector-1.0-jar-with-dependencies.jar] to class path
Added resources: [urldetector-1.0-jar-with-dependencies.jar]
hive> CREATE TEMPORARY FUNCTION urldetector as 'com.dataflowdeveloper.detection.URLDetector';
CREATE TEMPORARY FUNCTION urldetector as 'com.dataflowdeveloper.detection.URLDetector'
OK
Time taken: 0.032 seconds
hive> select urldetector(remote_host), remote_host from AccessLogs limit 100;
select urldetector(remote_host), remote_host from AccessLogs limit 100
OK
_c0	remote_host
Sent: 68.180.229.154
Failed with exception java.io.IOException:org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Unable to execute method public org.apache.hadoop.io.Text com.dataflowdeveloper.detection.URLDetector.evaluate(org.apache.hadoop.io.Text) throws java.io.IOException  on object com.dataflowdeveloper.detection.URLDetector@5dbd1a3e of class com.dataflowdeveloper.detection.URLDetector with arguments {68.180.229.154:org.apache.hadoop.io.Text} of size 1
Time taken: 0.147 seconds

This is when trying to load a Hive UDF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

So the issue was the library I was using was compiled with JDK 8 and everything else is JDK 7. There was no issue listed, JUnit and local Java applications ran fine. When I manually uploaded the JAR, it gave me the dreaded "Unsupported major.minor version 52.0"

With a properly compiled library, we will be fine.

So make sure you compile in JDK 7 if your Hadoop / Hive platform is JDK 7

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Master Guru

So the issue was the library I was using was compiled with JDK 8 and everything else is JDK 7. There was no issue listed, JUnit and local Java applications ran fine. When I manually uploaded the JAR, it gave me the dreaded "Unsupported major.minor version 52.0"

With a properly compiled library, we will be fine.

So make sure you compile in JDK 7 if your Hadoop / Hive platform is JDK 7