Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Failed to query data from hbase thrift server in CM 6.1.0

New Contributor

I configured the hbase thrift server role in order to query data from Hue. After the server is restarted, I tried to query from Hue and got connection error. I looked at hbase thrift log file from /var/log/hbase/hbase-cmf-hbase-HBASETHRIFTSERVER-hostname.log.out and found this error: 2019-01-10 18:19:14,257 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.ThriftServerRunner: starting TBoundedThreadPoolServer on /0.0.0.0:9090 with readTimeout 60000ms; min worker threads=200, max worker threads=1000, max queued requests=1000 2019-01-10 18:19:46,303 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TBoundedThreadPoolServer: Thrift error occurred during processing of message. org.apache.thrift.protocol.TProtocolException: Expected protocol id ffffff82 but got ffffff80 at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TCompactProtocol.readMessageBegin(TCompactProtocol.java:503) at org.apache.thrift.TBaseProcessor.process(TBaseProcessor.java:27) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TBoundedThreadPoolServer$ClientConnnection.run(TBoundedThreadPoolServer.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) 2019-01-10 18:19:46,325 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TBoundedThreadPoolServer: Thrift error occurred during processing of message. org.apache.thrift.protocol.TProtocolException: Expected protocol id ffffff82 but got ffffff80 at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TCompactProtocol.readMessageBegin(TCompactProtocol.java:503) at org.apache.thrift.TBaseProcessor.process(TBaseProcessor.java:27) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TBoundedThreadPoolServer$ClientConnnection.run(TBoundedThreadPoolServer.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) 2019-01-10 18:19:46,329 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TBoundedThreadPoolServer: Thrift error occurred during processing of message. org.apache.thrift.protocol.TProtocolException: Expected protocol id ffffff82 but got ffffff80 at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TCompactProtocol.readMessageBegin(TCompactProtocol.java:503) at org.apache.thrift.TBaseProcessor.process(TBaseProcessor.java:27) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TBoundedThreadPoolServer$ClientConnnection.run(TBoundedThreadPoolServer.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) It looks like the thrift protocol version is wrong. How to fix this issue? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

I am using Cloudera 6.1.0 and already conconfiured it as guided in the document.

I figured out that there is a Thrift protocol in Hbase Thrift server which is compact by default. After I unchecked the compact checkbox. It turns out to be fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Guru

Hi @Travis,

What is your CDH version? After you added hbase thrift server role, did you make sure to do below?

Go to Hue service > Configuration > Service-Wide and check that HBase Service and HBase Thrift Server both have an appropriate instance selected and that it is not None.

Also, can you please provide us the /var/log/hue/runcpserver.log from the Hue server for review? What was the detail error message you got from Hue UI when you tried to browse Hbase table?

Thanks,

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

New Contributor

I am using Cloudera 6.1.0 and already conconfiured it as guided in the document.

I figured out that there is a Thrift protocol in Hbase Thrift server which is compact by default. After I unchecked the compact checkbox. It turns out to be fine.

New Contributor
Your apporach worked for me too!!!! 😄

Guru

Hi @Travis,

Thanks for the solution. This is great information. @ylchew93, thank you for confirming the solution. That is helpful. 

For your information, I did some further investigation, and found out:

1) Starting Cloudera Manager 6.x, hbase.regionserver.thrift.compact propery is set to true by default;

2) From HUE-2692, it looks like Hue has not supported TCompactProtocol protocol yet.

I will file a internal jira on this and see how we can improve in the future.

Thanks!

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum